General deciduous trunk chop back budding physiology (Pyracantha (Firethorn))

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, long-time lurker, very rare poster. I'm obsessed with bonsai and have amassed over 50 trees over about 3-4 years but still consider myself very very new. My question is more theory than an actual tree but the actual tree that made me raise it is a 4 in diameter pyracantha stump - a garden rescue.

After a trunk chop I've got a couple of buds breaking very low on the trunk, my question is how to increase budding higher up the trunk?

a) remove the low buds in the hope of stimulating growth higher up;
b) leave it as it is to retain vigour which will encourage higher budding?

There is currently no foliage above the low buds but the cambium is still green all the way up and I've Tony Tickle black bagged it. Location is the Midlands, UK.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Stumps will normally bud as high as they can. Branches and twigs normally shoot as close to the ends as possible. If there are only shoots down low the stump is telling you it is having difficulty getting buds higher. I'd be leaving any you get alone to grow (option B). If you remove those and the tree cannot get others going you'll be in even more trouble. Higher buds may grow but I would not hold my breath waiting.
Some species have a strong 'shrub' growth habit and prefer to sprout lower. My limited experience with pyracantha is that it is one of these and often buds further back after pruning. It may be possible to force these to shoot higher or further out by removing lower shoots but I have not tried and am reluctant to encourage you to try lest things turn even worse - option A.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for the response @Shibui , recoup and recover!

It is free material to increase my horticultural knowledge and practice deadwood carving, a fat but very straight trunk so no great loss if I can't get higher buds, just means a slight change of plans.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

Reckon it's always faster to help it do what it wants.

Sorce

Top Bottom