General Treatments

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I remember in one of Nigel Saunders videos he mentioned that he sprays his trees to treat them during winter. I also remember my Grandad used to spray his roses with something during winter.

I'm just wondering if this is something I should be doing to my trees? And if so what should I be using?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Do you have a pest or disease problem? I think we are far too quick to use chemical treatments for no good reason. Indiscriminate spraying can lead to environmental contamination, health issues, pest and disease resistance as well as being a waste of time and money.
I feel that sprays and other treatments should be used as a last resort instead of as prophylactic.
In small collections pest and disease buildup is less likely and has less impact if and when it does so backyard treatments are not as important as larger nurseries with many hundreds of plants that can host and be impacted by disease.

That said, Japanese nurseries are known to use a winter spray of lime sulphur as a general pest and fungal preventative. There are many more modern chemical treatments that would do the same job if you really want to do so and care to do some research.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can spray them with poisons, oils, sulphur mixtures, and whatnot in the winter, so nothing starts living on them while they're dormant. But.. You don't have to.
In general I think that if you have to ask, there's no need for it. You haven't found pests, fungi, borers, aphids or anything, that means you probably don't have to treat against those.

Some people do prophylactic treatments, keep their plants on antibiotics. That's a decision they make for themselves. But the difficult part is that IF those trees get an infection of whatever source, "the bug" has been exposed and lived, so those antibiotics/insecticides have already been bypassed. That's where it gets messy because there is no treatment beyond this point.
The lower the exposure, the smaller the chance for resistance to develop. So not treating prophylactically can be beneficial in the sense that it leaves you with all the possible options to knock it down and hit it hard when something bad does happen.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
To be honest I had mildew on a field maple and rust starting on another tree. Apart from these my trees seemed fine.

Personally, I wouldn't want to do anything that wouldn't benefit my trees.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
some reading:

Here in the UK a commonly used dormant spray ( or 'winter wash') is lime sulphur diluted in water (20 parts water to 1 part lime sulphur).

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
some reading:

Here in the UK a commonly used dormant spray ( or 'winter wash') is lime sulphur diluted in water (20 parts water to 1 part lime sulphur).
Thank you

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't do anything. In addition to pest control, some people use sprays to help reduce moisture loss during winter. I can't recall the names, but might be called dormant oil sprays.

Top Bottom