Generic Ume / Prunus Mume any Attractive? White Ume (Shiro Kaga) and Pink Ume (Koume)

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
I bought 2 Ume "whips" for in-ground garden trees in Jan 2019, before I knew any better and before I knew of the nicer bonsai cultivars (like Beni Chidori, Kobai, WB Clarke, Matsubara Red, Hokkai Bungo, Omoi no Mama, etc.).

The 2 ume whips I got were from TreesofAntiquity online store - a White Ume (Shiro Kaga) and Pink Ume (Koume).

Planted them in the ground when I got them (so, almost 2 years in-ground now). But, often, I kinda think about it and regret it... as there's so many nicer cultivars I've learned of (like the ones above).

I actually never heard of 'Shiro Kaga' (single white) and 'Koume' (single pink) Ume before; especially used for bonsai. Are there any made into bonsai? Any pics??

Are the ones I got even any good or decently nice looking?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you'll be happy with those two. The bonsai favored species generally grow slower and the foliage is smaller, yours in the ground should be very satisfying as they mature.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would love to see some pics of your purchase as I to didn’t realize there were so many types of prunus mume LOL. I purchased a prunus incisa but I am very happy with it but I would still be willing to purchase a benni

michael

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
to be honest, I think you have the trees mostly for their mid-winter flower display and of course the gorgeous smell in the garden mid-winter. Or, old speciments, for their aged bark contrasting with these flowers. Especially in the latetr situation I think single simple flowers are better than affluent triple-petal flowers. It makes the flowers look even softer.

Leaf size on mume therefor does not bother me. I am in it for the flowers. So yes, these varieties will do fine.

Top Bottom