Germicide - Alcohol

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any germicide over the counter where I live. But I do use alcohol to disinfect my bonsai tools and I wonder if I spray that on my seedlings if it will damage the roots or foliage? o_O

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Ohhhhh! I just read the bottle. Thanks for saving the life of my Almond sprouts! :)
Yer welcome, but you done it , not me. All I did was try coaching you, and you listened. That's great. Appreciation gifts of Almond "bonsai" happily accepted. If that's too much to ask, I would just as happily accept you simply play that coaching thing forward, and no, you don't need to inform me each time you do. Just glad I may have helped.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There doesn't seem to be any germicide over the counter where I live. But I do use alcohol to disinfect my bonsai tools and I wonder if I spray that on my seedlings if it will damage the roots or foliage? o_O
I don't think they accept seedlings in AA-meetings.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get your self some rose dust. Should be in most stores right now. It has sulpher in it and will act as a germicide for damp off and all sorts of pre sprout problems.

VERY light dusting.

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
I tried Lysol it didn't hurt the plant right away but a couple of days later mold sprouted. I tried a few more times with similar results. The only possible explanation I can think of is it desolved wax or resin from the bark and left it unprotected.

Hydrogen peroxide help as does bleach.
When delluted and used properly.
I don't advise mixing the two.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
first - any alcohol will do, and is unlikely to harm your trees. Denaured alcohol is harmless if used only to wet the leaves. BUT don't use absolute 100% alcohol. That will suck water out of tissues and burn leaves. Best disinfectant strength is 70%. Kills virus, bacteria, eats through waxy cuticle of mealybugs and scale. 70% is dilute enough won't harm leaf tissue. ethanol, iso-propyl, & methanol are all acceptable. Paint section of hardware store or Pharmacy. If buying cheaper alcohol in paint section of hardware store - read label and add enough water to dilute to 70%. Lower than 70% and it is less effective disinfectant. I wipe tools beforw starting on a tree, and before staring on next tree.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't think they accept seedlings in AA-meetings.
That's true. Any report of alcohol abuse to minors and I'll be charged for being an unfit parent and have all of my seedlings taken away from me.

Do you mean bactericide for substrate/plant treatment?
Grimmy
Well, I've got a ton of cuttings inside off plastic soft-drink bottles and they are all growing fungus.

Get your self some rose dust. Should be in most stores right now. It has sulpher in it and will act as a germicide for damp off and all sorts of pre sprout problems.
VERY light dusting.
I don't know what rose dust is and I'm guessing we don't have it.

I tried Lysol it didn't hurt the plant right away but a couple of days later mold sprouted. I tried a few more times with similar results. The only possible explanation I can think of is it desolved wax or resin from the bark and left it unprotected.

Hydrogen peroxide help as does bleach.
When delluted and used properly.
I don't advise mixing the two.
Sounds interesting. I'll have a look into it.

first - any alcohol will do, and is unlikely to harm your trees. Denaured alcohol is harmless if used only to wet the leaves. BUT don't use absolute 100% alcohol. That will suck water out of tissues and burn leaves. Best disinfectant strength is 70%. Kills virus, bacteria, eats through waxy cuticle of mealybugs and scale. 70% is dilute enough won't harm leaf tissue. ethanol, iso-propyl, & methanol are all acceptable. Paint section of hardware store or Pharmacy. If buying cheaper alcohol in paint section of hardware store - read label and add enough water to dilute to 70%. Lower than 70% and it is less effective disinfectant. I wipe tools beforw starting on a tree, and before staring on next tree.
VERY enlightening! I think I'll start by diluting the Denatured Etanol that I already have to 70% and cross my fingers.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I've got a ton of cuttings inside off plastic soft-drink bottles and they are all growing fungus.
3% hydrogen peroxide - 1 tablespoons in a quart of water.
Spray (cutting, soil, and inside surfaces of the container) at first sign of any fungus.
Monitor regularly and repeat as necessary.

Safe, easy, inexpensive, and effective, but has no prophylactic effects (i.e., it only kills what is there at the time; most molds, fungi, and bacteria).

Top Bottom