Germinate seeds on top of each other

jorge.reto

Seedling
Reaction score
I decided to collect a bunch of seeds this fall and will try to start new bonsai trees from seeds (I am a patient guy!).
What if I planted a bunch of seeds really close to each other and never separate them? Eventually they would fuse right? Ficus seeds are so small that I could germinate like 10 very close to each other. Could it become an interesting fusing or clump project?
Is there an obvious reason why I can't find anyone doing this method?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's like walking 10 miles when you have a car to drive.

Certain plants, definitely ficus, roots super easy from cuttings. And the cuttings can be arraigned to fuse as they grow. Can save a year or a couple.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there an obvious reason why I can't find anyone doing this method?
Growing from seed means that you get a range of colours and growing rates etcetc. Variation. For a clump it is not desired. That being said, I am going to proove your premise partially wrong.

Sowed and germinated with space but after 6 months planted together:
20191225-20191225_R14A2397.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are getting the right advice but I am curious about 2 things. Where are you finding fertile ficus seeds. And where do you live .... your climate?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon there will be inevitable competition, which will have some grow long internodes and some short.
This will leave it so that your tall trees can never achieve the taper of the small close noded ones, which will forever look wierd.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Having more than one apically-dominate leader is a form of insanity. Every time you cut off one of Hydra's heads...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I germinate ficus seed regularly and often leave the seedlings growing together for a year or 2.
Long ago I left a tray of seedlings to fuse together. The result ended up as a mess with no focal points, few complimentary lines or shapes.
Definitely better to grow seedlings on for a couple of years then place some back together purposely to get much better design but if you want to try please feel free to go ahead. law of averages says sooner or later one random clump will be a winner.

Top Bottom