Germinating Guaiacum sanctum (holywood lignum vitae) seeds

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
I was just visiting family in the FL Keys and they had a couple G. sanctum trees bearing fruit (well, seed pods). I collected about 30 seeds because a quick googling said they have low germination rates.

Does anyone have any tips on getting these seeds going most effectively? I'm planning to just rub off the red sheaths and then maybe lightly sand some of them, then directly sow in a seed starting tray under a humidity dome. I'm unsure whether a pre-soaking would be beneficial, or something like placing in wet paper towels in plastic bags. I assume in any case it should be kept fairly warm and wet for this subtropical species.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
I've decided to try 24 seeds for now, and there are about 10 left to try a second time if these fail to germinate somehow. I divided them into four groups of six to see which method appears to work best:
Group 1: Rubbed clean with a damp cloth, sown directly in soil
Group 2: Lightly sanded, sown directly in soil
Group 3: Rubbed only, wrapped in damp paper towel in plastic bag
Group 4: Sanded, plastic bag.

These are all sitting on a board on a radiator in a south facing window for warmth and light. The soil ones are under a humidity dome, the baggies are in a shoebox. From what I've read, germination can take a week or two, so now comes the waiting.

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Just a quick update -- after 5 days, half of Group 4 (sanded+wet paper towel) had small taproots emerging, so I went ahead and planted all six of them in soil as well. None of the direct-sown (Groups 1-2) have sprouted enough to emerge from the soil yet, and none of the un-sanded seeds in the wet paper towel (Group 3) have popped yet.

So, at least preliminarily, it seems like a light sanding is a virtual necessity to ensure germination for lignum vitae. I'll keep waiting on the unsanded ones to see if they just take longer, and will post photos when/if any tops emerge from the soil.

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
First of the seedlings has emerged from the soil, but hasn't shed its seed case yet. This is from Group 4, and had the longest taproot already when I transferred it from the plastic bag to the soil, so not a huge surprise it's first. Photo is attached, though it doesn't look like much yet with the seed still attached.

Still no signs of germination in the seeds that got no sanding (Group 3) or anything emerging from Groups 1 & 2.

please list where you are in your avatar

Will do -- I'm currently in Maryland, but grew up in South Florida and visit there often, so that's where most of my inspiration comes from.

Attachments

• IMG_20161205_222223.jpg
    IMG_20161205_222223.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 35

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like a fun little project! I need to get better about keeping notes like your doing.
Good luck!

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Still only one seedling emerged, but now it has cast off its seed, so I figured it was time for a photo op.IMG_20161208_105159.jpg

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm treating some seed of a related texas species. I rubbed off the fleshy portion (the aril) and soaked in water peroxide solution for 24 hours. then into the fridge in moist sphagnum moss. I didn't nick the seed coat but now I think maybe I should have. I guess I will when they come out of cold storage , and resoAK in warm peroxide solution.

Attachments

• lrGuaiacum_angustifolium6.jpg
    lrGuaiacum_angustifolium6.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 34

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm treating some seed of a related texas species. I rubbed off the fleshy portion (the aril) and soaked in water peroxide solution for 24 hours. then into the fridge in moist sphagnum moss. I didn't nick the seed coat but now I think maybe I should have. I guess I will when they come out of cold storage , and resoAK in warm peroxide solution.

That's a gorgeous looking tree/shrub in the photo. It never occurred to me to try cold storage for mine, since it's a tropical species, but I wonder if that might improve germination rates a bit. Definitely keep me updated on yours!

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Sure. the texas guayacan is subtropical. A short cold treatment couldn't hurt. I could probably sow them now. if we both have extras we could trade one.

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Trading sounds like a great idea. Hopefully I end up with more than just one seedling!

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
I just thought I'd give a final update here. Out of the 24 seeds, 11 visibly germinated, and out of those only 7 fully emerged from their seeds successfully. Most of the ones that died seemed to have trouble with their seed casings, getting partially or fully stuck inside them. Here's the final tally:
Group 1: 0 seedlings
Group 2: 0 seedlings
Group 3: 5 seedlings
Group 4: 2 seedlings

The strangest result (and probably my fault somehow) is that zero of the directly-sown seeds (Groups 1 and 2) ever emerged, despite frequent misting and being under a humidity dome for nearly a month and a half.

Group 3 initially showed no signs of germination for a couple weeks, so I gave the seeds a light sanding at that point. All six of them then popped within 2 days, and then an amazing 5 of those 6 survived. The sole deceased seedling managed to crack its seed casing widely enough for the first true leaves to emerge, but within a few days the cotyledon fell off with the seed case, killing the seedling.

Group 4 showed taproots in 3 out of the 6 prior to being sown in the soil. Five of the 6 at least partially emerged from the soil, though 2 of them had seeds emerge with taproots, but no cotyledon or leaves ever appeared; their taproots eventually died.

The attached photos show the seven survivors, shortly after being transplanted from seed starting trays to small flower pots. They all had long delicate-looking taproots, hopefully I didn't injure any of them in the transplant!

lignum vitae0.jpg

lignum vitae1.jpg

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think cold stratification would help G sanctum, but yes for the Texas species.
@winnp - well done experiment, you hit the key requirements. A soak for 24 hours after sanding or nicking seed coat might have helped, but clearly wasn't absolutely required.

Well done, a 30% yeild for a difficult species is not bad at all. Knowing that sanding or nicking seed is helpful for this one, next try you could get better than 60%.

That you had fresh seed really helped.

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
Just a quick update: only 3 survived a 2-week journey in a moving container when we moved from Maryland to Seattle, but those three are doing well.

At the slow rate of growth it'll be a few years at least before these guys are ready for training!

Attachments

• IMG_20170824_081850.jpg
    IMG_20170824_081850.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 30

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
After a couple low-humidity, low-temperature Seattle winters, I'm down to two, and one of those is struggling a bit with the dryness (leaves keep drying out and falling off). I've been using plastic cups and takeout containers as makeshift humidity domes, but what I really need is a heated greenhouse....

One of them is doing great, though! IMG_20200405_185448.jpg

IMG_20200405_185019.jpg
IMG_20200405_184843.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought half a dozen seedlings, about 10 inches each off an eBay seller last fall. The dropped all their leaves, one died and five grew very well under fluorescent lights all winter. They were actually less mus than almost any of my tropicals. I am looking forward to getting them outside in a few weeks and see how much they well grow this summer. I am a bit tempted to plant all five together.

winnp

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought half a dozen seedlings, about 10 inches each off an eBay seller last fall.

Ten inches?! Those must be closing in on a decade now! I'm joking somewhat, but my most vigorous grower is barely two inches tall, and well into its third year. I'm sure better growing conditions and fertilizer would've sped that up a bit though 😂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few picts of my eBay finds. As mentioned, they lost there leaves. I cut the back and this is a couple of them after growing under lights this winter.
IMG_3110.JPGIMG_3108.JPGIMG_3113.JPG
I am looking forward to getting them outside but I don't want to rush them. My feeling is that they will grow like weeds. You can see 4 inches of growth over winter on one of them in pic. Maybe they are very slow when seedlings like many conifers. They have been no effort to take care of and I may buy some more if I can find that seller again.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 6

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought 6 more. He combines shipping so it only cost me $62 for all of them. I hope this link works.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A follow up on this thread. So apparently they are a very slow grower as sources say. I put my original first 5 in a flat oval training pot. The other 6 are in 4" plastic pots. None of them grew very much but they developed more character. Does that make sense? They seem exceptionally durable and have loved being outside. I am intrigued with this plant and plan to stick with it.
I attempted to germinate 5 of 20 seeds I had and none of those made it. This was using a long soak after a nick as I do to germinate Acacia. Something is missing and I will try the next 5 seeds differently.
Original 5
IMG_3929.JPGIMG_3930.JPG
Newer 6 plants
IMG_3931.JPGIMG_3932.JPG

Top Bottom