Germinating Guaiacum sanctum (holywood lignum vitae) seeds

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello winnp and penumbra,

I’m wondering how your young trees are doing. I’ve been looking at two eBay listings for some time, and when one seller ended early, I figured I’d better place an order before it was too late (or hot, shipping from Miami). Now waiting for 5 seedlings 3-4” tall... We’ll see how they like Central Florida.

Best wishes, Amy

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are doing very well but they grow pretty slow. They don't look much different than the pictures I posted last year. They are very sturdy little plants and undemanding.
None of the seedlings I attempted worked out. Funny thing is I just starting soaking a new batch of 15 seeds 2 days ago. They have not imbued any water yet. I am trying to decide which method to go with next.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m curious about that warm peroxide solution on nicked seeds — I haven’t started anything from seed yet, but I assume this is to simulate some creature’s chewing the fruit & passing the seed through digestive juices. Perhaps this species is really dependent on its native fauna?

Says catbirds eat the fruit, so maybe so?

Last edited:

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seedlings were chewed-on in transit, apparently; seller had packed them in shredded newspaper, so maybe something tiny came with it & was pleased w/fresh chow. Seller insisted nothing eats these, stood firm despite pics.

But in spite of travel, trimming, and potting — plus unusually dry, breezy weather here — they’re all hanging in & perking up.

Hope your seeds are sprouting, @penumbra!

A9596E53-234B-4EF5-978B-5CE258D4F3C5.jpeg

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoops — mixing up who has seeds (another species, even!) and who has seedlings — sorry, @penumbra. Just looked back at the thread & realized that your seedlings would tower over mine! Wonder how @winnp is doing with the wee one —

Proprart

Seed
Reaction score
So, I've also started on this journey. I've tried each of the methods here, but no matter what I do they mold. I'm wondering if the heat pad is the problem. I am currently trying to safe a batch from mold. I rinsed them well and put thembun a watered down bigger bath,then dried off. A few shots enoughnpromise that I split them. Some into a bag, and two into some must sphagnum moss. No soil I've20220527_203853.jpg found yet wants to work. Also,, These smell foul when they are moldy.

Top Bottom