Germinating Japanese Cherry Blossom

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My girlfriend saw some photos of Japanese Cherry Blossoms' and she decided to purchase some seeds for me to sow, as she knows that I'm newly-fascinated with Bonsai.
To Combat Mold, I soaked half the seeds in a bleach/water solution and the other half in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution for 10 minutes before rinsing with cool water to remove the chemicals.
Now, stratification... all twelve seeds will be Cold-Stratified in my Refrigerator's Vegetable-Drawer, and half (6) of them will also be accompanied with scarification which was done with 220-grit sandpaper. I will be placing the seeds in small 1"X1" tubaware-containers with Sheet-Moss soaked in water and rung-out to provide a moist—not wet environment, covered loosely with small plastic bags, allowing some airflow into the container and checking them every few days to ensure consistent moisture.
Fast-forward about 20 days to present-day 01/27/2022; there is some mold starting on the seeds, although, less with the seeds treated with bleach/water compared to the Peroxide. I decided that I should carefully remove all seeds from the moss, rinse them and replace the moss in order to mitigate Mold. Woah! One of the seeds that I soaked in bleach and sanded has just begun to sprout, which is encouraging since this is my 1st go at germinating seeds intentionally. Anyway, I replaced the moss and carefully rinsed the seeds and put them back to do their thing.
My question to those who are more familure with sowing seeds is: when it's time to plant them, any recommendations on the best media to use; seed trays vs small containers for sowing; combating Mold with a small fan vs a light fungicide when sowing; I will be using a fluorescent grow-light, to start them indoors, how much light do I provide, how close can the light be to a young tree without burning it?
Advice and thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I cannot offer any insight into indoor growing or lights as all my plants live outside as nature intended.
As you are checking seeds individually I would sow each into a separate pot as you see roots emerging. Seeds can be sown in community pots or seed trays but that's only to save space until growth starts. Seedlings then need to be moved to individual pots at some stage. Growth is much better when there is less competition so individual pots will usually see better results.
Sow into a good potting soil. I just put seeds straight into my standard bonsai mix. If its good enough to grow bonsai it should be good enough to germinate seeds.
Down here 'seed raising mix' is available commercially. It is good because it is reasonably sterile so less problems with weeds and disease but Seed raising mix has almost no nutrient so plants growing in that need more supplementary fertilizer or growth is slow and nutrient deficiency may eventually kill the seedlings.

Mould in seed post can be treated by watering with peroxide solution. That won't hurt the seeds or the seedlings but should stop the mould. It does make the soil expand like a volcano which can be frightening to watch but the reaction is short lived and all goes back to normal after a few minutes. There are also plenty of commercial fungicides for treating 'damping off' which is a fungal infection. Sun and air movement are both good anti fungals and I've seen some reference to using fans indoors but don't have any personal experience on what and how.

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have one question regarding watering the seedlings with peroxide for combating mold: do you dilute household 3% peroxide and apply to seedlings via Spary bottle, or water directly, but very subtly with 3% peroxide solution undiluted? I intend to start these guys with artificial light but move them outdoors this spring when it is safe. Currently, we've been experiencing a cold-snap with some freezing-nightly-temperatures. All should be well by March, sometime. I'll be gathering some supplies this weekend. If sowing seeds indivually, for maximum vigor as you advise, would you recommend plastic or cardboard containers to start? Thank you for your knowledge.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My girlfriend saw some photos of Japanese Cherry Blossoms' and she decided to purchase some seeds for me to sow, as she knows that I'm newly-fascinated with Bonsai.
To Combat Mold, I soaked half the seeds in a bleach/water solution and the other half in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution for 10 minutes before rinsing with cool water to remove the chemicals.
Now, stratification... all twelve seeds will be Cold-Stratified in my Refrigerator's Vegetable-Drawer, and half (6) of them will also be accompanied with scarification which was done with 220-grit sandpaper. I will be placing the seeds in small 1"X1" tubaware-containers with Sheet-Moss soaked in water and rung-out to provide a moist—not wet environment, covered loosely with small plastic bags, allowing some airflow into the container and checking them every few days to ensure consistent moisture.
Fast-forward about 20 days to present-day 01/27/2022; there is some mold starting on the seeds, although, less with the seeds treated with bleach/water compared to the Peroxide. I decided that I should carefully remove all seeds from the moss, rinse them and replace the moss in order to mitigate Mold. Woah! One of the seeds that I soaked in bleach and sanded has just begun to sprout, which is encouraging since this is my 1st go at germinating seeds intentionally. Anyway, I replaced the moss and carefully rinsed the seeds and put them back to do their thing.
My question to those who are more familure with sowing seeds is: when it's time to plant them, any recommendations on the best media to use; seed trays vs small containers for sowing; combating Mold with a small fan vs a light fungicide when sowing; I will be using a fluorescent grow-light, to start them indoors, how much light do I provide, how close can the light be to a young tree without burning it?
Advice and thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Wow. This is beyond overkill.

Seeds in nature germinate all on their own without fancy chemicals or sandpaper spa treatments.

Just throw them in some dirt outside. Right now. I have no idea why people use refrigerators when there's a gigantic refrigerator outside right now.

They'll grow when it's spring, but need the cold to wake up. So do it now.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
1 tablespoon of 3% peroxide per cup of water is recommended for treating or preventing fungal infection. Spray on or use as a soil drench.
I'd recommend plastic pots for planting seeds but that's just my preference. Plenty of growers use different techniques and still get good results. The cardboard pots are good for quick growing plants that will go into the garden but fall apart too quick for slower growing trees.

It's probably too late now but I agree that natural stratification and spring germination is better for the trees and far less hassle. Germinating indoors under lights gives very little, if any, advantage.
There are, however, plenty of species that do require seed treatments like scarification to get uniform germination.

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rite-on. Thank you for the Info, it's very helpful. I do have a tendency to over-think from time to time and I'm learning as I go. Maybe the next batch of seeds I try, I'll use the Natural Refrigerator outside—it certainly does sound less of a hassle. Cheers! 🍻

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just be aware there are more seed eaters wandering round in the 'natural refrigerator' than in the vegetable crisper indoors. I cover all seed trays outside even though I only have a few rats, mice and some birds to deal with. Initially I took a chance but soon realized these guys live or die by finding winter seeds to eat so they are actually very efficient at finding them. If seed tray are not covered well chances are really high that all seed will be gone by the time they have germinated.
From what I read you guys have many more seedivores on the prowl and hungry through winter so even more important for you to have predator proof seed trays.

Seed eaters aside natural is far easier and I find more reliable than artificial stratification, indoor growing and subsequent transition top outdoor conditions.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Egad man! Overkill indeedo_O. Plant in pots covered with wire cage, let nature do its job.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
no idea why people use refrigerators when there's a gigantic refrigerator outside right now.
I’ve actually germinated a few cherry blossom (prunus serratula) seeds using the paper towel & fridge method and the gigantic refrigerator outside. I find the indoor fridge works better, because the outdoor fridge may “wake up” some seeds (particularly in spring) before the threat of frost is gone

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, it's not a "Japanese Cherry Blossom" tree. It is a Japanese Cherry Tree. It blossoms, but that's not part of the name any more than an apple tree is an apple blossom tree, or an almond tree is an almond blossom tree...

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. I hear the "Japanese Cherry Blossom Tree" crap a lot since D.C. is Japanese cherry tree central...

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW, it's not a "Japanese Cherry Blossom" tree. It is a Japanese Cherry Tree. It blossoms, but that's not part of the name any more than an apple tree is an apple blossom tree, or an almond tree is an almond blossom tree...

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. I hear the "Japanese Cherry Blossom Tree" crap a lot since D.C. is Japanese cherry tree central...
Its Japanese Cherry Tree central ...because of the Japanese Cherry Blossoms.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its Japanese Cherry Tree central ...because of the Japanese Cherry Blossoms.
Well, not really, It's the opposite..., the National Park Service and the National Arboretum don't call them "Japanese Cherry Blossom trees"
"The blooming of the cherry trees around the Tidal Basin in Washington, DC"

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I get what you're saying. I live in Oregon. The locals pronounce it as, "Or-uh-gun or Or-uh-gen; people that come to visit pronounce it as, "Or-ah-gon" but with emphasis on the "Gon". It drives me nuts. I mean, I guess the shape of the State has the potential to be considered a Polygon, but more of a wanna-be Polygon as there are some curves on the Coast.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get what you're saying. I live in Oregon. The locals pronounce it as, "Or-uh-gun or Or-uh-gen; people that come to visit pronounce it as, "Or-ah-gon" but with emphasis on the "Gon". It drives me nuts. I mean, I guess the shape of the State has the potential to be considered a Polygon, but more of a wanna-be Polygon as there are some curves on the Coast.
I lived out in Washington for a while. I get the in Oregun...not ory Gone... 😁

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Lol it is mildy bothersome, but I was the same guy that pronounced it wrong until after I moved here 🤪 Every area has their idiosyncrasies.

Top Bottom