Germination of Pinyon Pine seeds

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered some pinyon pine seeds, but the seller did not leave instructions on how to germinate them? I have 25 seeds total. I've heard that they can be difficult seeds to germinate, but I wanted to insist on giving them a try. What steps should I go by to germinate them?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they can't be hard, they grow like weeds here, i can't keep up with them I always have a new sprout somewhere in the garden

This being said I don't think they'd do good in bonsai, the needles are VERY long and they have tendency of dropping branches (at least in my experience)

good luck

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you use Google???????

I did but the instructions I found from most sites are very vague in description. I'm the type of guy who likes things explained word for word with pictures or video included if at all available.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might have a different type of Pinyon Pine in Lebanon, akhater...

Around here they are known for exceptionally short needles.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are probably right then, the one we have is called "pinion" probably not the same, other names Italian stone pine or pinus pinea, my bad sorry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Pinyon pine of the Southwestern U.S. is pinus edulis...

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There are a few different species that have the Pinyon common name. Pinus monophylla is the single leaf pinyon that is common to the great basin of the western United States. According to Dirr's "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation":

"Seed are not dormant but have been found sensitive to warm temperatures over 72 degrees during germination in the laboratory. Very early spring sowing when the soil is fairly cool has given best results."

I've never started pinion but in my experience pine seeds are generally easy to germinate. If you're in doubt - Dirr's suggests that generally pine seeds benefit from a 48 hour soaking followed by 2 weeks at 40 degrees. After that you would out plant them into soil - but keep an eye on them while they're in the fridge because I've done this before and had them sprout during the "cold stratification" period.

Top Bottom