Gert's Pots

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recently took a 12 week pottery class. It was a lot of fun and I had the freedom to pursue whatever I wanted with help from the staff. I'd like to get a kiln of my own soon to keep pursuing and learning. I've found the classroom was a great way to obtain information but at the same time it made detail work difficult as I had to rush to finish in the 2 and a half hour time limit per class. I hope to at least continue slab building at home which will allow me more time going forward and then bringing the items to the kiln to be fired. I've got a lot to learn and a lot of progress to make but I found this to be a fun start and an interesting addition to the whole of the bonsai hobby.

Below are a few of the finished bonsai/kusamono pots.

I had a few questions for other pot makers. The kiln used is a gas kiln and a lot of my colors seemed to burn out turn yellow / brown. I have no control over where my pots are placed in the kiln but I'm wondering if this played a role. Also, I was waxing the inside of the pot and painting on the glaze with a brush. In some of the images you'll see some inconsistent applications of glaze. I'm wondering if I over applied, and actually ended up wiping off glaze I had applied by attempting to put on multiple coats.

Any ideas/advice/critiques are appreciated! I'm obviously no pro and there are definitely a lot of issues with warping within this first batch.

IMG_9411-scaled.jpeg
IMG_9415-scaled.jpeg
IMG_9418-scaled.jpeg
IMG_9412-scaled.jpeg

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The clay used was Armadillo Clay's - Balcones (mostly) and Balcones White

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see this forum active so fast!

It's only not enough glaze, "burn out" is myth enough to keep it chalked as so. There are a couple mason stains that technically "burn out", the literature tends to be clear on them. Most other "burn out" problems is more chemistry than "burn out".

The most common problem I've seen with brushing glazes is understanding what anyone is ever talking about when they say "coat".

There are simply too many variables never explained that leaves the question unanswered.

Brush type, Specific Gravity of the Glaze, and Brushing Method make for infinite combinations of possibilities. Depending on which, one "coat" may be enough, 10 may be enough.

What remains a constant is thickness of glaze after application, which can be measured with a pin tool in an inconspicuous area, or a scratch and an eyeball. It's not the easiest thing to measure, ranging from 1mm to maybe 4mm, so it's mostly mental notes and "almosts" that keep it organized.

On bisqued pots, you can take a "loaded brush" and without even touching bristles to clay, apply a coat. With this method, you can generally get away with 2 coats. This also works well for the second coat, since you don't actually touch the first coat with bristles, it won't wipe it away.

If you are brushing as you would paint on a wall, besides the problems of lifting or otherwise disturbing other layers, it's much less consistent in thickness and will almost always leave brush marks. It usually takes about 3-4 "coats" for this to have good results, but it will depend on the other factors.

Brushing is quite satisfying, so I understand it and continue to do so, but there certainly are easier methods, especially for bisqued pots, unless brush strokes are being mindfully encorporated into design, I would consider dipping or spraying.

I dig that last ones glaze. Why was it successful?

Nice.

Sorce

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I love you sorce, but there is certainly burn out! Many mason stains and colorful glaze formula contain zinc, which vaporizes away in a reduction firing. Mason stains also break down at high fire. Your other points are right on.

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Sorce and Nao for the good info.

I was using a horsetail brush that was about 2 inches and I was applying the glaze pretty heavy handedly. I'm thinking the last pot I took more time with as it was the last pot I glazed. The others I was probably re-applying coats too quickly. Will see how the next batch goes! With that classroom setting I had to apply the glaze to all these pots (and about 8 others) all in 2 hours. It's pretty rushed! I'm hoping I can achieve better results on my own.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I had my first lesson yesterday and wow, I hope my pots come out like yours. I get what you mean about working against a time limit. I mentioned getting a kiln to my other half last night. She said I only had 1 lesson. I get that, but all I could think when I was in that studio was I wish I could take my time.

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the kind words Colley!

Most places that have classes allow you to bring in your own work to fire in their kilns too. I'd recommend that route before you purchase a kiln. I have an itch to buy one as well but I think I'll play it safe. Luckily there is a shop a half mile from me that offers firing.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Colley!

Most places that have classes allow you to bring in your own work to fire in their kilns too. I'd recommend that route before you purchase a kiln. I have an itch to buy one as well but I think I'll play it safe. Luckily there is a shop a half mile from me that offers firing.
I think I'll spend this year learning ceramics and look into getting work fired for me.

Top Bottom