Get out of the water! You’re getting all Prunus!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t let there vulnerability . Hold you back they make great bonsai . My first round at bonsai I lost my real nice collected wild cow chomped apple to borrers May not have been avoidable . But I know. Now I was not pro active enough . You simple need a consistent spray routine . Regular wash the bench with bleach . We have advantages with a tree in pot . You can tent the tree to concentrate fumes . Dunk the whole tree I. Water fir 24 hours . Good routine . It’s a lot easier to spray a bonsai then a tree in your yard . Treat all wounds . Heavily treat all deadwood or large wounds with epoxy . Make it non edible . Just be proactive and diligent

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Did a little structural work and light pruning.

Before:D5350F74-10F2-4863-9338-0841903223F0.jpeg

After: Front and Back3049FD5F-07B7-4ECE-9848-E19B6E21590C.jpegDF05FE01-1BE7-477F-A3D1-62F4A6B38976.jpeg

After the pictures were taken I actually pruned that higher right branch real hard... The buds were in good spots for me to begin the "shoulder" taper.

🤓

(Don't mind those ugly leaves... it's kind of just what the first flush looks like on these beasts, until you get the wintering 'perfect', I've heard)

Attachments

• AB4B9333-1923-428E-AC8A-1029DC624492.jpeg
    AB4B9333-1923-428E-AC8A-1029DC624492.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 7

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did a little structural work and light pruning.

Before:View attachment 438225

After: Front and BackView attachment 438226View attachment 438227

After the pictures were taken I actually pruned that higher right branch real hard... The buds were in good spots for me to begin the "shoulder" taper.

🤓

(Don't mind those ugly leaves... it's kind of just what the first flush looks like on these beasts, until you get the wintering 'perfect', I've heard)
Frost damage on the leaves?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Frost damage on the leaves?
Possibly! My running belief is that the buds themselves had basically been encased in "subzero ice blocks", and I've been attributing the "ugly leaf phenomenon" to this.

I was pretty darn good about stepping, this season. All my "dark barked cherries" wake up like this. (building better wintering quarters is a priority)...

Ooooh!! Root cuttings WERE taken, however, that would have HAD foliage and been subjected to the same spring conditions, after I stopped the "temperate seedling and recent repot 2-step" 😂

Observing THESE leaves should tell us if that damage occurred THIS season.. or during the winter.. to the buds.

🤓

I'll go check and take pictures in a minute.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Question. When exactly did you execute the trunk chop?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wire, loosely(when needed) applied... Some selection performed.. but not much.. there is "sacrifice" on nearly every branch, I simply wired what I intended on keeping, as well as wiring the top sacrifice out of "the way".

The large lower branch appears to have died off...

But honestly, I'm more excited pondering the design WITHOUT that branch.. it alters the trees Elegance.. (it's there for an anchor now.)3F7A1F91-4742-48C5-80AB-DF5C099E0B7C.jpeg

This wire will be watched.. and most likely removed in 2-3 weeks.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Missed some "in between work" shots when my old phone went down.

If there are any inquiries, fire away, but for now, I'm just BASELINE updating.

I'm quite happy with the direction this is heading.

IMG_20220909_154355.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree also appears to have really taken a big step forward health-wise. Nice work!

Top Bottom