Get your funk on...

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, maybe not you, our wonderful members... But this Engelmann Spruce sure is! This tree was collected 2 years ago and otherwise appears to be healthy and about ready for a first styling. There is apparently some nice deadwood that will be exposed in the future.

No, I cannot show the tree, as I fear Murphy will raise his ugly head and strike this tree dead like others I have been eager to post. This is even pushing it... Give it a year after styling and we'll let you see El Diablo...

Seriously, I expect Will to stop by and provide a little education on the fungi problem here.

Attachments

• Shrooms.jpg
    Shrooms.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 104

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Not always bad. Although Fungi can look very nasty and ugly. If this fungi is on deadwood then it may be no problem at all. Carve out well and treat with lime sulfur at full strenght

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I doubt that this fungus is growing from deadwood. In the picture it is emerging from a callous that was formed in the not to distant past. Really nice shot Rich, you got good detail of it. Pretty lil thing

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I doubt that this fungus is growing from deadwood. In the picture it is emerging from a callous that was formed in the not to distant past. Really nice shot Rich, you got good detail of it. Pretty lil thing

Thanks - Canon S5IS with Hoya 7X macro lens. Only wish I had taken the time to learn the camera from all the good info Rick sent me last year...

You may be right about the deadwood - I have NOT explored under the bark at all - just an assumption.

As a note, there are 4 of them on the tree, all within about 6" of each other on this sub trunk, and when I looked today, all 4 are shriveling up & drying out. I have done nothing to them, and it has been rainy and cool all week (i.e. no sun exposure). So, when Will pops in to educate, he can possibly help with the life cycle as well...

Top Bottom