Getting back in the game with this juniper

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have not been able to keep any bonsai for the last 10 year due to constant moving and small NYC apartment living. I recently got back into it and the it turns out the “bonsai bug” never left it was just dormant.

I started out with this little nursery stock juniper. I love the little guy even though it might not be much. It’s reignited my love for bonsai. 267402E7-EB1B-46CA-97ED-B756B43684E9.jpegDE932901-5B9F-40AF-ACA5-7F8E03B97CE3.jpegF65FCB46-0B55-4D0C-A224-788788A47F9D.jpeg

Styling advice is always welcome ??

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the forum! Is that an Old Gold juniper?

The lower branch on the left seems a little straight, in contrast to all the other curved branches. Can you imagine that one bent down some more?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like where you went with the material. It makes me want to go check out the box stores for seasonal sales. I would say loose the first left branch. It is too straight, but it doesn't add anything and is in a congested area of the trunk.
I would also say that I would have kept one or two of the lowest down branches (now stubs) to grow out as sacrifice branches to generate additional taper. A little late now, but it could be constructive for future reference.

Nice work and welcome back.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Welcome to the forum! Is that an Old Gold juniper?

The lower branch on the left seems a little straight, in contrast to all the other curved branches. Can you imagine that one bent down some more?
I’m not sure of the variety. I don’t think it was an old gold though.

Thank you. I see what you mean about that branch. I’ll see where I can take it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like where you went with the material. It makes me want to go check out the box stores for seasonal sales. I would say loose the first left branch. It is too straight, but it doesn't add anything and is in a congested area of the trunk.
I would also say that I would have kept one or two of the lowest down branches (now stubs) to grow out as sacrifice branches to generate additional taper. A little late now, but it could be constructive for future reference.

Nice work and welcome back.

Oh man. You’re totally right about those lower stubs! Next time. Next time.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice bones on that and motion in the trunk. Also congratulations on having room for trees again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I did a little restyle of this juniper today. It’s amazing how much I’VE grown since buying this tree at a nursery last September.

I’m still not too sure of the long Jin on the right side but I’ll leave it for now. Also, it just felt to stagnant and symmetrical and i wanted something a little more dynamic.

Here’s a quick before and after

8481C5FB-99FC-4C34-BA4A-96492E978AC2.jpeg4C0F13DF-7187-47E0-93DB-30DE1D7A235C.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good Eddy! I even feel like you can reduce a bit more foliage in the short term to improve the overall tiddyness. I really like the flow you’ve got though, with your jin to the right and foliage flowing out left. Well done.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking good!

I’m still not too sure of the long Jin on the right side but I’ll leave it for now. Also, it just felt to stagnant and symmetrical and i wanted something a little more dynamic.

FWIW, it's too long for my eye. Break it back to the fork?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looking good!

FWIW, it's too long for my eye. Break it back to the fork?
Thank you. I’m thinking along those lines too. I honestly didn’t even consider the jin tonight. It’s definitely too long and should be shorten a bit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks good Eddy! I even feel like you can reduce a bit more foliage in the short term to improve the overall tiddyness. I really like the flow you’ve got though, with your jin to the right and foliage flowing out left. Well done.
Thank you. I agree. I was a little scared to keep removing foliage. A lot of the foliage is very young and spindly and hangs down. How you do handle that. Do you just remove anything that is not substantial? My thinking was let it grow some and gain some thickness and then come back later in the summer and wire it more.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I agree. I was a little scared to keep removing foliage. A lot of the foliage is very young and spindly and hangs down. How you do handle that. Do you just remove anything that is not substantial? My thinking was let it grow some and gain some thickness and then come back later in the summer and wire it more.
Yeah, whenever I’m in doubt I remove less. Health first! But I also think yours could take some removal. When I wire out some of my newer junipers initially, I like to take the 20 gauge or smaller wire and wrap even the spindly foliage out to the tips. Because, as I’m sure you know, that spindly stuff becomes the woody stuff. And I like to establish that initial structure to build ramification off of early. I can’t seem to locate it, but there is a diagram that shows in nice detail the setting and building of a good juniper branch.

with all that said, I’d imagine waiting a bit before detail wiring will be fine as juniper branches are pretty easy to bend when thin.

it’s a great little tree and should only get better!

Top Bottom