Getting good nebari from large Boug cuttings

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey all--

I'm down here in sunny florida and am finding a bunch of pretty good stuff to throw in training pots, but I have some questions:

First, how does one get good nebari off of a cutting of 2-3" from a boug (or for that matter any cutting)? Is there a certain technique when rooting them, or do you just have to "select" good surface roots and wait for them to grow?

Second, any good techniques or tricks to get a large cutting from a boug to root? I've read that this is the best time to do it and that hardwood cuttings can be rooted pretty easily. (There are some really, really pretty red and deep purples here and I'm a sucker for flowering bonsai...)

Third, I found a hibiscus that is struggling and has some really nice, gnarled trunks (multiple plants in one small area). I realize the flower will be somewhat out of proportion, but that doesn't matter to me too much--I'm not going to show it or anything--it's just for my enjoyment. Any tips for these? Has anyone had much experience with hibiscus and their idiosyncracies?

Thanks for all the help, guys. You've been a good venting place for me and all my questions. My wife appreciates you guys as well!

Daniel

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey all--
First, how does one get good nebari off of a cutting of 2-3" from a boug (or for that matter any cutting)? Daniel

Take lots of them. Odds are in large numbers.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've taken cuttings from bougies from various size and I've had almost 100% of success however all the cutting where from 0.5 cm to 1 ~ 2 cm never thicker.

I did that even without rooting hormone in 100% perlite the whole covered in a plastic bottle.

Regarding the Nebari I think it is too soon to think of it yet. After you have rooted your bougies and at repotting time it would be a bood idea to start selecting surface roots (I am not even at this stage yet)

Now for the hibiscus I have also had 100% success rooting them same method as above 100% perlite and a plastic bottle but WITH rooting hormones.

I have no interest of making bonsai out of them since they have very big flowers for my taste but they are doing nicely in the garden

Hope it helps

Top Bottom