getting my *third* bonsai for my 15th birthday, hoping it survives this time -_-

irbyma7297

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
when i was 13, i showed my father interest in bonsai. he bought me a book about it and a juniper from Walmart. We only had a porch, i never went on it, and kept it inside on my bedside table. Being a thirteen year old, i killed it within a month. later he got me a fukien tea bonsai, and was told it could be kept indoors. I think i posted on this site asking for a pot that would go well with this, you guys advised me not to keep it inside, i didn't listen. it died. now, almost two years later, i have decided to try again. I've been watching all the bonsai care YouTube videos i can, and have decided on the right tree for me. i decided on a ficus, as it can be kept inside, is resilient, and is deciduous, which i like better than coniferous trees. I decided on a prebonsai midnight ficus. it hasn't been ordered yet, though. So, i hope i dont mess up again, and plan to be very, very patient. Can you guys help me?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi and welcome,

A Ficus is not deciduous, a Ficus is tropical. You keep them indoors during winter. While they may be great trees for a beginner, I wouldn't suggest a Midnight, which is a cultivar of benjamina. Benjamina can be finicky, especially for a beginner.

irbyma7297

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
there is a difference between a deciduous and a tropical? Now i know. What kind of ficus can i keep?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
there is a difference between a deciduous and a tropical? Now i know. What kind of ficus can i keep?

Yes. Deciduous trees lose their leaves in the Fall and regrow them in the Spring. Tropical trees grow where it's warm year round and don't need to come inside during certain months. I'd recommend you start out with a Ficus microcarpa or Willow Leaf Ficus.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, the Ficus Microcarpa also known as Ficus Retusa are great plants that can be kept inside when needed. If you get one as you trim it you can plant the cuttings and start new ones to use for grafts or just to start a new tree

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also...speaking from experience, I picked up a juniper at a Walmart this year. The pebbles are glued in. This is damaging to the tree itself. I removed the glued in pebbles and stuck it outdoors and am fortunate it was recently stocked and had a chance. You may know this...but on the off chance you don't. It is good to know.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
irbyma7297 welcome to one of the best lifetime hobbies that you could ever find. Just think many of us will not see out trees develop in 10 or 15 years, but you will be able to see your trees develop over 50 years. neat.

Please add your location to your profile. It is important so folks can advise on inside/outside trees and care.

Also most of us that have been around for awhile really enjoy working with and teaching a youngster. So check in your area (what you should add to your profile) for a bonsai club. If you need help looking just give a shout here.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Gotta echo what DougB is saying about getting started in this hobby with one's youth. most start way to late in life and don't have the time to truely develop a tree, which is an incredible
"treat".

I'd suggest focusing on learning the needed horticultural knowledge to keep things simply alive
as the basis to begin learning. The styling and artistic flair can come later.

Don't feel bad about loosing a few in the learning curve. Most will honestly admitt it's part of learning.

I'm happy your starting so young and i encourage you to stick with it thru thick and thin.

The thing I enjoy most is mentoring young folks just beginning. I have one that I expect some day to see in the Olympics as a famous figure skater. Please look into finding a club and mentor nearby. Chatlines are a great tool at your disposal but it's hard to beat hands on instruction from someone who has been down the path decades before. all the best

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Ir.

you may find it better, to get a book from the library on trees and take a read.
With indoor Bonsai, it is very helpful to know as much as you can about where a tree comes from and how it lives/climate and so on.

The idea is to keep it Healthy so you can go onto the next stage of Design.

By the way in the Tropics, our trees go dormant, some are deciduous, evergreen and we also have conifers. Off of Cuba is an island covered in pines, and my island has naturally occurring Podocarpus, as well as pine mixes from the Isle of Pines off of Cuba.

Our local Ficus. p, is deciduous for 1 month, returning with bronzed willow shaped leaves, around the end of February.

The tree must be healthy, so you can focus on the design.For the first 3 to 5 years, learning to grow is most important. Wiring and clipping will create some stress and done badly can kill or damage a tree.
Good Day
Anthony

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
A tender tropical tree will need to come indoors in the winter depending on the USDA zone it is in.

No tree will do well indoors without a whole lot of suplimental light.

Even in frosty NH a fig goes outdoors in June and back indoors in October.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Gotta echo what DougB is saying about getting started in this hobby with one's youth. most start way to late in life and don't have the time to truely develop a tree, which is an incredible
"treat".

I'd suggest focusing on learning the needed horticultural knowledge to keep things simply alive
as the basis to begin learning. The styling and artistic flair can come later.

Don't feel bad about loosing a few in the learning curve. Most will honestly admitt it's part of learning.

I'm happy your starting so young and i encourage you to stick with it thru thick and thin.

The thing I enjoy most is mentoring young folks just beginning. I have one that I expect some day to see in the Olympics as a famous figure skater. Please look into finding a club and mentor nearby. Chatlines are a great tool at your disposal but it's hard to beat hands on instruction from someone who has been down the path decades before. all the best

Totally agree Dick. Learn how to keep plants alive. Go buy a bunch of indoor plants. Cheap. And will teach you the basics of keeping something alive without much risk. As soon as you've done this, then I would move onto bonsai. jmo.

irbyma7297

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I ordered my ficus Nerifolia two weeks ago from dallasbonsai.com and it Hasn't arrived =/ I live in Colorado, at the very foot of the Rockies, so the weather is very spastic. Its been snowing in the morning and warm in the afternoon, and it gets very confusing because of the unpredictable weather. I am glad you all welcome me with open arms. I think that Fukien bonsai didn't die, but actually just dropped its leaves due to shipping. I haven't been able to post recently, as my younger brother insists on having the laptop 24/7, but I will try to remain active on this forum so I can learn as much as i can about bonsai :D

This is the tree I ordered: http://www.dallasbonsai.com/product-p/1024-willow-leaf-ficus-bonsai.htm

EDIT:it just came! i love the nebari, but i ordered 2.5 mm wire, much to big for its tiny branches

Last edited:
Top Bottom