Getting out of hand...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seen this on the news this morning...

RITTMAN, OH - The Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery in Rittman is the final resting place of thousands of patriots who served and defended their country in times of war and peace.

Veterans who make the pilgrimage to the cemetery to pay their respects to their comrades-in-arms say that one of the most powerful tributes that can be paid to service men and women is a battlefield cross, made up of a helmet, a rifle and a pair of boots.

Vietnam Veteran Bill Overton told Fox 8 News, "It's a great honor. That's your comrades recognizing you, what you did, who you are. You're a brother, you're a member of this military."

Overton and other members of his VFW Post in Strongsville were outraged when they learned that the Department of Veterans Affairs, which runs the cemetery, had removed a battlefield cross because of a complaint that it included the depiction of a realistic looking gun.

Fox 8 spoke with the administrator of the cemetery, who told us that the removal of the battlefield cross was as a result of "guidance" from Veterans Affairs headquarters in Washington. The policy applies to all cemeteries operated by Veterans Affairs.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous, they don't know anything about our country, our history, they don't even know why they have the right to complain about it. The reason why they have the right is these guys right here. That's why they have the right to do it," said Overton.

When asked if the banning of the battlefield cross would apply to monuments as well, the administrator of the cemetery told us that the policy only applied to "three-dimensional" depictions of guns.

Oddly enough, the battlefield cross can be displayed during a veteran's burial, but must be removed after the ceremony.

Veterans say the rules drafted by bureaucrats are an affront to those who served their country and have no place on the hallowed grounds of a National Cemetery.

"I have yet to meet the Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Airman, Coast Guard that isn't upset over this," said Overton. "They're trying to change our history, and we're not going to let them do it.'

http://fox8.com/2017/10/16/veterans...al-cemetery-removes-battlefield-cross-marker/

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to wonder if the objection is the actual depiction of the gun or the fact it is arranged as a religious symbol.

I also wonder who it is that objected?
Pro gun control people or religious people, or both.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have to wonder if the objection is the actual depiction of the gun or the fact it is arranged as a religious symbol.

I also wonder who it is that objected?
Pro gun control people or religious people, or both.

It was quite clear its resemblance of a gun was the reason for its removal...as a Christian I do not see any "religious cross" in the silhouette of this statue honoring fallen soldiers. Mind you this one is far more detailed than the cement version they took down.

Surely they don't expect us to arm our military with feather dusters...

Surely someone anti-gun complained...why else state it resembles a gun!?!

Maybe someone against our military? Or anti gun...Who knows...but to remove it is mind boggling to me.

battlefield-cross-bronze-1.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was quite clear its resemblance of a gun was the reason for its removal...as a Christian I do not see any "religious cross" in the silhouette of this statue honoring fallen soldiers. Mind you this one is far more detailed than the cement version they took down.

Surely they don't expect us to arm our military with feather dusters...

Surely someone anti-gun complained...why else state it resembles a gun!?!

Maybe someone against our military? Or anti gun...Who knows...but to remove it is mind boggling to me.

View attachment 164196

Yea, I agree it really doesn't resemble a traditional cross. I think, unfortunately the prevalence of mass shootings the last few years have got some people paranoid.
Any depiction is seen as glorification of guns.

If we and the enemy did arm our respective militaries with feather dusters, there would be a lot less casualties and the world would be a lot cleaner:D

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yea, I agree it really doesn't resemble a traditional cross. I think, unfortunately the prevalence of mass shootings the last few years have got some people paranoid.
Any depiction is seen as glorification of guns.

If we and the enemy did arm our respective militaries with feather dusters, there would be a lot less casualties and the world would be a lot cleaner:D
Sadly, so...but we are talking a military cemetery. That blows my mind...it's a military symbol honoring the fallen soldier. But, apparently they didn't wish to cause an uproar...so it's only permitted out during a service for a fallen soldier. Shaking head...at the path our country has taken.

Right...if we only had peace and harmony among all nations. But, we don't...and it's only going to get worse. But that was a good play on words with the feather duster.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is baffling.

I mean, you know I am what you would call "a liberal", you know that I think that this gun culture of yours is childish, stupid, and even criminal.

But these guys deserve respect.

How hypocritical not to try to limit gun ownership and at the same time refuse the tribute paid for those who fell in the battlefield. Whatever the cause was, whether it was just or not, whether they wanted to die for it or not.

This sculpture is just telling that some people, some very good people, others maybe not so good but what the fk, died, and deserve to be remembered as friends, sons and daughters, husbands and fathers. And what could their companions do but show that it was the end of the road for them? No letter from Trump, or Obama, or Kennedy, or Johnson, or Nixon, only the grief of their families and friends.

I can understand that some want to remove statues of racist Americans in the south (although like in Vietnam, did they really know what they died for?), but this political correctness is really going too far I think.

This is a very disturbing example of how deeply schizophrenic America is.

And I don't think it's becoming "great again", on the contrary.

A photo I took in Flanders. Such a peaceful place. A hundred years before, it was a scar with no life left but earth and corpses, like a field mown by a monster.

IMG_6107.jpg

I'm not a religious person, you know that, but somehow I felt...

A rifle in a pair of boots and a helmet on top of it, a memory to someone whose body couldn't even bee found in that mud and blood mix...

What a stupid decision. Do they really think that because they remove this tribute to those who gave their lives to Uncle Sam there will be fewer deaths by guns in in their neighbourhoods?

Are they THAT STUPID?...

IMG_6089.JPG IMG_6093.JPG IMG_6094.JPG

Here is a song I had my students listen to on Monday:

PS: and I hate Darnold Trump because he's just preparing new graveyards for good sons and daughters of the USA. Although if he can't make profit from the dead, maybe he'll buy some common sense. He's your "president" now, your deviant electoral system put him into power, you'll have to cope with that insane clown for a few more years...

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sad to say but there is no shortage of stupidity going around lately.

Yes, unfortunately.

Take "old Europe": in Austria (Adolf Hitler's native country), the citizens voted for a young far-right conservative who will have to form a government with the neo-nazis.

History doesn't repeat itself, it stumbles...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Left Wing Liberals call it Progress...

;)

Men of good will call it... fraternity ?

Some of us "Liberals" won't be deterred by war-mongers. This is a song I remember from my early age, when I believed in Santa Claus and the little mouse that put a coin under my pillow when I lost a tooth.

Cheesy, isn't it?

Yet, as an atheist christian, I think it's still a lesson for the taking:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Yet, as an atheist christian, I think it's... ...
:) Do I descry "progress" here? :)
Keep going, Alain! Keep going!
Free spirit, this is what is lacking from our world.
And common sense, of course!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am thinking....
That was a prova generale.
Just checking how people would react.
Put it back in place, then when right time/conditions come remove it again permanently.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So someone complained about it looking like a gun, who cares. I'm more interested in what to me looks like an agent of the government suppressing speech, and yes the monument counts as speech, based solely on the content of that speech, a depiction an a firearm. That looks like a pretty cut and dried violation of the first amendment to me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am thinking....
That was a prova generale.
Just checking how people would react.
Put it back in place, then when right time/conditions come remove it again permanently.
Actually it was on the news again...congressmen are trying to protect the battlefield cross...because they are trying to not allow anything depicting a gun...permitted in cemeteries. VA rules or something...crazy. So it could be removed if congress doesn't protect it.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some time ago there was a discussion here in the tea house regarding national celebrations being abolished and attempt to tear down the Robert E. Lee statues etc.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/s...bus-day-do-they-get-a-paid-holiday-off.29164/
I remember I have written there that I suspect this is world wide policy because similar incidents are occurring in different parts of the world.
New Order policies I'm afraid.....

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some time ago there was a discussion here in the tea house regarding national celebrations being abolished and attempt to tear down the Robert E. Lee statues etc.
A school named after Jefferson Davis just changed it's name to Barack Obama.
I forget where,but it's down south somewhere. It was on the news last night. They let the children decide what or who to change it to through voting.
Pretty cool.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
A school named after Jefferson Davis just changed it's name to Barack Obama.
I forget where,but it's down south somewhere. It was on the news last night. They let the children decide what or who to change it to through voting.
Pretty cool.

Pretty frickin sick when a bunch of schoolkids can revise history on a racially biased level...
Its known as Revisionist History
I feel the same way about removing Robert E Lee statues...

Top Bottom