Getting permission on private land?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yea ill take 12 sliders to go and is it cool if i dig that tree up in the parking lot?

haha I thought about trying to get a white castle shirt and hat and just backing my truck up and going to work on it.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
2 strikes against you... 1. people don't know what bonsai is. 2. People don't want to think a resource was taken from them. I show people pictures of my work. I explain as Brian did, their value is minimal, especially at the moment of gathering them. It's like asking for raw clay from someone, not worth anything really until someone does all the work(no need to explain all of that, they are already lost at the word bonsai.)

Always offer something. I never want something for nothing, they don't want to feel like someone came and stole gold off of their property.
Matt,
I agree and have also offered a favored plant in return. If there is more potential ( return visits ), really make it worth their while ( and ultimately yours ) to invite return collections.
Don't paint too rosy a picture for fear that the landowner starts calling everyone they can think of to sell to. This happened to me and upon a return visit found what I thought would be "strawberry fields" turned up "pot hole heaven" from all the bonsai "wanna bees" and a not so happy landowner who never wanted to see me again!
Now restarting the search again and wish I lived near you and Mike ( in northern MI ) to spend weekends hiking and collecting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matt,
I agree and have also offered a favored plant in return. If there is more potential ( return visits ), really make it worth their while ( and ultimately yours ) to invite return collections.
Don't paint too rosy a picture for fear that the landowner starts calling everyone they can think of to sell to. This happened to me and upon a return visit found what I thought would be "strawberry fields" turned up "pot hole heaven" from all the bonsai "wanna bees" and a not so happy landowner who never wanted to see me again!
Now restarting the search again and wish I lived near you and Mike ( in northern MI ) to spend weekends hiking and collecting.
That's a good heads up story Leonard. This is an interesting case because I am willing to bet this lady has never seen the area that has the trees I am interested in. They are in a bog which is only accessible by canoe or kayak. Pretty cool place. She is a really nice lady and I am excited to find out if the tree I collected for her is still living.

Reaction score
I spotted a few sheep grazed Hawthorn near where I live saw the shepherd, and farmer they were more than happy for me to collect as long as I didnt dig up hedges. A couple of bottles of wine and I will be digging and making good next week.
Crazy, they love me and want every hawthorn on the hill side removed!
Permission the first time was easy, ensuring you leave the land tidy and as you found it is imperative if you want to dig again next year

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I spotted a few sheep grazed Hawthorn near where I live saw the shepherd, and farmer they were more than happy for me to collect as long as I didnt dig up hedges. A couple of bottles of wine and I will be digging and making good next week.
Crazy, they love me and want every hawthorn on the hill side removed!
Permission the first time was easy, ensuring you leave the land tidy and as you found it is imperative if you want to dig again next year
You have a good procedure in place that helps future collecting. People tell other people you're good too.

Top Bottom