Getting ready for winter........

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I have everybody in their winter home, but two I leave outside. All I have left to do is install my co-poly when the first freeze is predicted, usually in December, but you never know around here. I have a upright quartz heater with a thermostat and I never let it get below 34 degrees. The reason for that is, one day it could be 55 degrees in the daytime in January and fall to 20 degrees that night. I don't want my trees to go through freezing and thawing all winter. The co-poly will come off in the spring when there are no more freezes predicted. The only draw back to my system, the trees need more watering. This way has worked for me for the last ten years, is all this necessary, I don't know, but why fix sometiing when it isn't broke. Some years, the trees come out for spring looking better than they did going in for the winter.
Thomas, I'm still working on my JBP's.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00347.jpg
    DSC00347.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thomas, I'm still working on my JBP's.

I hear you Harry. It does take some time doesn't it? I have one little one I bought this summer that's got more needles than a porcupine. That one's gonna be a real challenge, especially since it will need some extensive wiring also. I'm saving it for last, I just hope I last.:D If it comes out good I'll post it, if not, forget I even mentioned it.;)

Nice set up you got there Harry, it matches your nice trees.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I hear you Harry. It does take some time doesn't it? I have one little one I bought this summer that's got more needles than a porcupine. That one's gonna be a real challenge, especially since it will need some extensive wiring also. I'm saving it for last, I just hope I last.:D If it comes out good I'll post it, if not, forget I even mentioned it.;)

Nice set up you got there Harry, it matches your nice trees.

Thanks, my one and only carpentry endeavor.

keep it green,
Harry

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a really awesome setup and some fine specimen bonsai! I would love to do something similar and plan to when I get some more space! Good Work

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Here they are, all warm and cozy.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC00298 (2).JPG
    DSC00298 (2).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 81

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful back yard Harry! Be careful who you show it to, you might lose your "Redneck" certification!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Beautiful back yard Harry! Be careful who you show it to, you might lose your "Redneck" certification!

Like Popeye, "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam"

keep it green,
Harry

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that backyard is fantastic - it has to be really relaxing sitting out there on a nice day. Trees are not so bad either :D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In your second picture, what is that tree on the back upper shelf on the left (the one with the straight trunk and low hanging branch)?

I really love the two JBPs next to it - they look incredible.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
It's a 19" Ponderosa. Here are the three JBP's on the shelf. Thanks for the kudos.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 28
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00294.jpg
    DSC00294.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00295.jpg
    DSC00295.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00299.jpg
    DSC00299.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, that backyard is fantastic - it has to be really relaxing sitting out there on a nice day. Trees are not so bad either :D

Thanks, here is a picture from this summer, I've made a few changes.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC01149.jpg
    DSC01149.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 56

djlen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, really nice out-building Harry.
First time I've ever seen your plants and they are beautiful.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very nice Harry, now to the quartz heater, don't they just heat the "objects", seems if I am correct some of your trees are just as if there is no heater. I know, it's worked so far, but if I am correct then you might want to go to a straight space heater.

Maybe not as much as you, but I would hate to see them freeze thier tootzies off. Although they are probably ok just being in a protected area.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice Harry, now to the quartz heater, don't they just heat the "objects", seems if I am correct some of your trees are just as if there is no heater. I know, it's worked so far, but if I am correct then you might want to go to a straight space heater.

Maybe not as much as you, but I would hate to see them freeze thier tootzies off. Although they are probably ok just being in a protected area.

I keep two remote temperature and humidity sending units in different locations in my green house, as far from the heater as possible behind the last plants, one high and one low, they send the temperature to a base receiver in the house with three channels and I can keep an eye on my green house temperature at all times,the other channel is for my pond water temperature, if we have a warm day and the temperture rises, I will open the door to the house so as not let it get too warm. The temperature usually varys less that 1 or 2 degrees anywhere in my green house.

http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/oregon_scientific/product.asp?itmky=403576

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry,

Nice set up.

I'm, however, curious as to why you're putting the trees into storage now?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:) Just might get one of those, looks good Harry, whats better it works for you.

Based on rockm's ? I would guess the doors are open still. Based on night time temps here, I would guess that you are most likely into the 20's at night , and like to keep them at just above the freezing mark, at all times.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"All I have left to do is install my co-poly when the first freeze is predicted, usually in December,"

This is what's driving my question. I've found that storing temperate trees before they get hit by a frost or three can be a problem. I hope for at least three hard freezes to get my trees while they're on the benches. This usually happens before November ends here in Zone 7. The cold is essential to harden trees off for winter --it literally prepares them physically for winter dormancy.

I don't put my trees into storage before Thanksgiving. Have found that it's counterproductive.

This stuff is peculiar to each grower's locality though. Throw in species and it's a crap shoot.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really great trees Harry - I love DSC295. Thanks for sharing them.

Top Bottom