Getting ready for winter

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like that transimmter deal...where did you get it, HD?
I'll more that likely place my 1 tree in the garage, my garage feta real cold but for what I hear these trees can handle some cold temps, I'll just place some mulch down over the truck and pot.

I ended up getting it off of Amazon I believe. I wanted one that went down as low as possible, and finally found one that went down to 14 degree F (I believe it went down that low). It's a La Crosse in case you're interested in the brand name.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have La Crosse remotes as well and have been happy with them.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The high and low.

A good investment I made was a digital thermometer for a real read out of the garage temps. Reports the temp every minute and stores min/max. Sensor goes in your storage corner a few feet about the floor...about treetop height... and the read-out can be in the house anywhere. I may be easily entertained...it's fun to monitor.

My West Michigan garage seldom freeze really. I tested it...stored water bottles in the garage to keep cool in the winter rather than in the refrigerator...none of the bottles froze...likewise, I found any trees stored stay cold but not frozen.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
La Crosse works well

I ended up getting it off of Amazon I believe. I wanted one that went down as low as possible, and finally found one that went down to 14 degree F (I believe it went down that low). It's a La Crosse in case you're interested in the brand name.

I have the La Crosse...it works great. Use Lithium batteries to last in the cold. My sensor batteries that are Lithium last at least 2 winters. I use: La Crosse Technology WS-9160U-IT Digital Thermometer with Indoor/Outdoor Temperature.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks guys, guess I'll be going shopping.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the La Crosse...it works great. Use Lithium batteries to last in the cold. My sensor batteries that are Lithium last at least 2 winters. I use: La Crosse Technology WS-9160U-IT Digital Thermometer with Indoor/Outdoor Temperature.

That's the one I have as well.

I've used this set up for the last three years, and it's worked out very well. The interesting thing for me was how well the garage moderates temperatures. I was very concerned that the garage, being detached, would fall below freezing for most of the year, but that hasn't happened. It warms up during the daytime, and then heat is dissipated over the evening when temps drop. Even with a stretch of cold days I was still in a comfortable range. Granted I'm in VA, where it is warmer than the northern zones, but I would think that a garage type of environment would still work out well up north. On very cold days, you could always get a small heater to help bump temps up a bit.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's the one I have as well.

I've used this set up for the last three years, and it's worked out very well. The interesting thing for me was how well the garage moderates temperatures. I was very concerned that the garage, being detached, would fall below freezing for most of the year, but that hasn't happened. It warms up during the daytime, and then heat is dissipated over the evening when temps drop. Even with a stretch of cold days I was still in a comfortable range. Granted I'm in VA, where it is warmer than the northern zones, but I would think that a garage type of environment would still work out well up north. On very cold days, you could always get a small heater to help bump temps up a bit.

Given my location, must people said to go a head and use the garage which is what I'm going to do. I can't wait to find out how my garage contains temps...seeings it isn't insulated and its a to car garage with a roomy unstairs.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given my location, must people said to go a head and use the garage which is what I'm going to do. I can't wait to find out how my garage contains temps...seeings it isn't insulated and its a to car garage with a roomy unstairs.

I think with that size, you'll probably be ok. The bigger the structure, the more temps are moderated I think.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nash, I grew up in Greene, right next to Sabattus. The garage will be fine.
Id keep the juni outside until it snows or the overnight temps reach 25 deg or less.
The garage might get to zero but the tree should still be fine. The main thing is wind protection.

Last edited:

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nash, I grew up in Greene, right next to Sabattus. The garage will be fine.
Id keep the juni outside until it snows or the overnight temps reach 25 deg or less.
The garage might get to zero but the tree should still be fine. The main thing is wind protection.

Nice, fellow ex neighbor. Its nice to know someone is here that's pretty much lived in my same area. Its been a little while since I've been on. My tree seems to be doing OK outside but temps have been getting down to freezing and below almost every night
but day time temps get up to 50+ degrees

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My family is still up there I go visit once in a while when I can.

Your tree will still be fine for a while. Once the day time temps get to around 35 degrees, Id move it into the garage.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My family is still up there I go visit once in a while when I can.

Your tree will still be fine for a while. Once the day time temps get to around 35 degrees, Id move it into the garage.

That's pretty much what I was planning on doing. Thanks.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We put ours in a 33 gallon trash bag that we put about 8 inches of pine horse bedding in the bottom and fill around and across the top of the pots about 2-3 inches. We just roll up the edges to keep all the pine in place. We set all the items out on the shade side of the house and use wooden stakes 5 foot and create a wind screen by stapling 4 foot wide burlap around the whole pile.

This allows the plants to winter in our area without getting wind damage and also allows them to get moisture from snow, etc. In the Spring I dump all the pine under our pine trees and mother nature seems to think it is an ok idea. If the weather is really harsh I put some moth balls in glass jars with tiny holes in the tops outside of the bags on the ground. Be EXTREMELY careful not to let them come into contact with the plants or soil but rest assured Voles will not go near your plants :p

The process is simple and inexpensive and all the supplies are available at the local AGWAY or similar farm supply outlets.

kaerihana

Seed
Reaction score
You can also purchase some pipe warmers at home depot for around 20.00 dollars for six feet of cable very energy efficient. then make sand box cover the cable then lay your trees on the top monitor the temp of the sand at first but the less sand the warmer it is if you want it cooler then add more sand then check the temp. This keeps the roots just the temp you want. and will also provide a head start come spring when they come out of dormancy. this works well in wisconsin , hope it helps . this would be for use in the garage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom