Getting rid of Nats/indoor pests

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hear you guys, yet H2O2 is very nasty to life due to being both an inhalation, contact and ingestion hazard.

Here’s the CDC IDLH data sheet for H2O2. Note concentrated H2O2 is considered to be 30%.

If a OSHA PEL of 1 ppm (1.4 mg/m3) TWA is the most humans can tolerate, I wonder what concentration would other living things like fungi and gnat larva be able to stand if respired, contacted and ingested? Especially over time?

Incidentally, the OSHA TWA for dioxin, a particularly nasty persistent organic pollutant is 260ppm

cheers
DSD sends

gk11820

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Fairly new to bonsai but have been trying to fix this problem for a while with houseplants. Left a bowl of vinegar and dish soap (dawn soap and apple cider) which killed a few but I then found this thing on amazon called “Katchy” which got the problem under control very quickly. Uses UV light to draw them in. Works with gnats and fruit flies I believe. I turn it on at night and try to make sure all other lights are off. Very effective and I highly recommend!!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fairly new to bonsai but have been trying to fix this problem for a while with houseplants. Left a bowl of vinegar and dish soap (dawn soap and apple cider) which killed a few but I then found this thing on amazon called “Katchy” which got the problem under control very quickly. Uses UV light to draw them in. Works with gnats and fruit flies I believe. I turn it on at night and try to make sure all other lights are off. Very effective and I highly recommend!!
I see it uses the glue boards which I have found to be effective by themselves. Using the UV I am sure works a bit faster, but I have never had a problem that bad.

gk11820

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I see it uses the glue boards which I have found to be effective by themselves. Using the UV I am sure works a bit faster, but I have never had a problem that bad.
Yeah I don’t know why I always have a couple flying around, definitely not perfect at watering by any means. I’m gonna looks into your peroxide method also and see if I can find the threads on it that you mentioned also.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought it was malt vinegar that was the trick.I think you put foil or maybe it’s plastic wrap over cup of it n poke tiny holes in it so they climb in and then it’s curtains

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tried using H2O2 somewhats more aggressively over the holidays. The result is that I have now trays without gnats, trays without gnats but with damaged leaves, trays with both damaged, leaves and gnats, and some trays with a lot of gnats.
I an starting to think about the damage more H2O2 will do vs the damage the gnats do.
I am also thinking about removing the domes on all my trays, and letting the soil dry out a lot.

As for the Katchy traps, I am tempted to give them a try. Gnats definitely move towards daylight/windows.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I always have a couple flying around
Fungus gnats can be a problem in homes with NO plants, too. They can reproduce if there are leaks around pipes or drains, any place where organic material gets wet.

Top Bottom