getting started... have a few (well, more than a few) questions

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll try to ask a couple at a time as I expect the answers will lead to more questions.

I've been doing a lot of reading this winter about starting bonsai. I have about 7 acres of wooded land of mostly pine and hardwoods that I can harvest from. 1 acre of the land is being cleared and I'm going to try to use some of the smaller trees for bonsai since they are going to be cleared anyway. I live in Virginia. Anyways... on to my questions.

I've read a lot about preparing trees in the wild for bonsai and that you can't really just dig them up, trim them down, and pot them. I need clarification on the preparing them for bonsai part. I've read about trenching and whatnot but just can't find a clear explanation. Can someone explain this or point me in the right direction? I understand that you want to get a lot of fibrous roots growing before using it for bonsai but how do you encourage that? Do you take the tree completely out of the ground, clear some of the bigger roots, and put it back in? Is there a way to prepare a sapling for bonsai in a regular pot with potting soil?

While preparing a few trees for bonsai, I'm going to try to attend to my need to start by getting a juniper from a nursery and starting this spring. Is that okay or is there more to do to a nursery bought juniper before trimming it for bonsai. Can I just use a shallow flower pot with good drainage holes for a bonsai pot for now?

I know there's more but I'll leave it at this for now. Thanks for reading and your guidance!!!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First and foremost Welcome to B-Nut! :D If you update your profile you will no longer need to explain where you are located and the growing zone you are in so we can all give you better advice.

I had 5 1/2 acres up until this Fall and at one point had collected so many trees I put 87 back in the ground last Spring(it can get out of hand fast). Collection is a great way to start though for many reasons that you will learn along the journey.
As far as what to do before you collect I think "arming" yourself with a variety of tools to do it will be a larger task then any at first. In our area though in ideal conditions I "cut" around the specimens in the Fall prior to frost most times in a circle with a spade or ice chopper and a mallet to control the amount of horizontal root I need to dig in the Spring. You do not need to do that I just find it easier. Many people including myself will just cut it down to a manageable height, dig it, wet the roots down and transport in a bag. In that case the prep is to have containers ready upon arrival to pot immediately. There is more to it depending on species and such but you asked in general.

Trees do not need soil and to much will do more harm then good in regards to seedlings and saplings. Plain pots of any type that drain well with good draining substrate will work fine. You will see as you roam around the site that people like me use no soil and others use different mixes of inorganics while some use a combination of inorganic and organic. There is water considerations that greatly control your "working" choice.

If you want to play with any species including Juniper you really will make your experience a lot better one by getting your hands on some and learning to keep them alive in any pot at your location for at least 1 year. Many tree and plant types are similar and in many cases some types will not survive a persons climate.

I know those are "general" answers and given more details as I mentioned earlier will get you more detailed answers.

Again Welcome :)

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Take a look at the Harry Harrington website bonsai4me. Search for collecting. There are loads of articles there. Keep in mind he is in Europe, and the timing may be differing to your climate, but there is lots of great info to read.
Good luck and welcome.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regarding trenching, in this google search there are a few pages in which Harry Harrington discusses trenching around trees before collecting. Great reads. Essentially, trenching is just digging a trench around the trunk of the tree (Not too close! I think the recommended distance is about two feet?) so that you are severing roots that extend far from the trunk, filling the area in with loose soil, and allowing those severed roots to regrow fine roots which will assist in recovery when the tree is collected. That's the quick and dirty explanation. Read Harry's stories. They're great for learning about the process.

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
wow, what great information! Thank you all for great links and starting info! I still need to look over this and see how it applies to my situation and ask more questions but thank you for now!

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First and foremost Welcome to B-Nut! :D If you update your profile you will no longer need to explain where you are located and the growing zone you are in so we can all give you better advice.

Thank You!!! I just added more details.

I had 5 1/2 acres up until this Fall and at one point had collected so many trees I put 87 back in the ground last Spring(it can get out of hand fast). Collection is a great way to start though for many reasons that you will learn along the journey.
As far as what to do before you collect I think "arming" yourself with a variety of tools to do it will be a larger task then any at first. In our area though in ideal conditions I "cut" around the specimens in the Fall prior to frost most times in a circle with a spade or ice chopper and a mallet to control the amount of horizontal root I need to dig in the Spring. You do not need to do that I just find it easier. Many people including myself will just cut it down to a manageable height, dig it, wet the roots down and transport in a bag. In that case the prep is to have containers ready upon arrival to pot immediately. There is more to it depending on species and such but you asked in general.

So, I'm thinking that it's going to be a cedar (or actually a virginia juniper). Could I go out and get it today as long as i have the right container? Can you point me to the right direction to get specifics for this tree? I've found details about how to care for it but not so many on how to specifically get it started on the right path.

Trees do not need soil and to much will do more harm then good in regards to seedlings and saplings. Plain pots of any type that drain well with good draining substrate will work fine. You will see as you roam around the site that people like me use no soil and others use different mixes of inorganics while some use a combination of inorganic and organic. There is water considerations that greatly control your "working" choice.

I've found a lot of info on mediums. Would one of the bonsai mixes found on amazon be good enough. Or, should I pick something from this page: http://www.dallasbonsai.com/soil.html

If you want to play with any species including Juniper you really will make your experience a lot better one by getting your hands on some and learning to keep them alive in any pot at your location for at least 1 year. Many tree and plant types are similar and in many cases some types will not survive a persons climate.

I know those are "general" answers and given more details as I mentioned earlier will get you more detailed answers.

Again Welcome :)

Grimmy

Hopefully, what I did above makes sense. Thanks again!

Top Bottom