Getting started with a JWP and JBP?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not giving much more information about myself and mentor. I don't want people knowing too much about me

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Want a sacrifice branch? Easy! Don't prune it!

Eliminate other non-essential branches growing near it, so it gets all the strength. Make sure the terminal tip is growing up. Wire it up if you have to. Once it gets to be the tallest part of the tree, it will take off.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rockwell,

You are in Salt Lake City, right? The mountains around you are filled with incredible yamadori bonsai. Now, don't go out and start digging them up by yourself. First of all, you have to get permission, and secondly, you have to take responsibility to do the job right so that the trees will survive the collection.

I bet there is a bonsai club or society in SLC, and I bet they go on collection trips, or at least have members who do. Find out who's doing that, and volunteer to help do the hard work that's required to collect trees.

I guarantee you'll learn more information about how to create truly world class bonsai in one weekend doing that than you will ever learn messing around in this forum.

Most bonsai clubs love new members. Especially those willing to work hard!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!
Yes! I am going to the club. You can't learn bonsai over the internet I guess.
I think I might learn a lot from the club in SLC. and I am will to work REALLY hard!
Thanks, ;)
Porter

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Read the links posted in your previous thread. That will be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Here is good overview of pine development: Care of Japanese Black Pine

I also recommend getting more trees. I got 20 bare root seedlings this spring and lost 2 of them fairly quickly. I pretty sure it was the stress of being bare rooted and shipped across the country. If I had had only two trees I would have none now. I anticipate losing more during development. At this point in development there is not much to do but watch them grow.

That link made me want to start a pine!
thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
Should I buy this JBP? its for $50.
Not trying to ask dumb questions or start a fight. -_-
Thanks.....
DSC_0082.jpgDSC_0084.jpgDSC_0087.jpgDSC_0088.jpg
Also, should I buy this Japanese Maple for the same price?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
TRUNK.
Then.... I'm worried about the foliage. I want the JBP in a cascade form. The Japanese maple, formal upright I think.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rockwell,

That JBP is a poor cascade. Are you thinking of using the long branch/trunk for the cascade? If so, there's two really, really long internodes between the old fatter part, and the first side branch of the tall part. That's a sacrifice branch. Grown to thicken the lower part of the trunk.

See that skinny little branch that comes off where the sacrifice starts? That's the continuation of the trunk when the sacrifice is cut off. At least, that's how it appears to me.

That piece of material still has another 5 years of rough growing before it's ready to style.

I would rather see you get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-bl...776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8a0cf818

The trunk is already chopped, lower branches have been cut back several times, and ramification has started. It's ready to wire and style. You can either pot it in a bonsai pot next spring, or plant in the ground to further fatten the trunk. Your choice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Problem with that is, I can't bid more than the bid now.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly I think that JBP would work better as an informal upright. If TRUNK is what you're after then you might reconsider purchasing. What they would need to chop off for shipping is what you would need to help thicken the trunk quicker.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rockwell,

What I was trying to say with the eBay listing is to look for material similar to that.

And, rather than buying two $50 trees, plus shipping, it might be better to buy one $75 tree. A tree like the ones George sells are ready to be worked. You seem impatient. So I'm thinking you would like a tree you could work on rather than one that need to grow out for four or five years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahhh,
Adair, I am sorry. I miss understood you. I am impatient, but I am slowly learning patience.
So, I'll just go look around ebay. Look for a George guy?
Thank you. People recommended me to buy larger stock to work on instead of field growing.
Porter

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your right about how the other JBP was a poor cascade. I wasn't thinking.
Really am sorry for all this non-sense.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The eBay listing I linked was a George Murakana listing. If you open it up, click on "seller" then click on "Seller's other listings", you'll see the types of trees he grows. He usually has about a dozen trees on eBay at any given time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
about that,
He only has 3 JBP. they sell for about $170-200 other than the one that was a bid.
i might call telfarms right now and ask if they have any JBP suitable for informal upright medium bonsai.
Thanks,
Porter

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
George Murakana also has a blog that is worth looking at. I think he mentions it in the ebay description. If you contact him directly he may be able to give you a better deal.

I plan on getting a tree from him eventually. I still kick myself for not bidding on one of his JBP. It closed at $65 shipped with no bids.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok,
I'm going to move on to my favorite deciduous tree, trident maples.
Thanks.

Tridents will probably have some definite problems in Utah. I was born there and lived in Salt Lake till I was 12, I know a little about the climate and Tridents are likely to turn into kindling within a year. What I think and what I say probably means little but it needs to be said. I believe that you are going through a book or two on bonsai and have picked out the trees that you really like without realizing that the images you see in the books are highly refined by many years of cultivation. The first JWP I saw was not even recognizable as JWP to me.

You live in a place where the harvesting of several species of really excelent Junipers are possible and where there are at least a couple of varieties of Pinyon Pine can be found. Go higher into the mountains you may find Bristlecone Pine, Lodge Pole Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Limber Pine, and White Bark Pine. If I were you, knowing what I know now, and in your physical condition, I would find someone who can take you into the deserts and mountains and help you collect trees if you are serious.

You said you want to do bonsai as a profession, the dream of many and almost all, who have put a tree in a pot and dreamed of the future. Collecting Yamidori gives you access to a field, within bonsai, where you actually may be able to make a living. Unless you are Ryan Neil, it ain't going to happen by simply opening a nursery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom