Getting Started

Jordon Bigelow

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have the yard for it, I would plant them in the ground. That is if you want to grow the trunks and everything. Healthy looking trees :) Welcome to the forums. I am very new but I have learned a lot from some books. Other people will be by to give their advice as well.

Welcome!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Make sure it's the right time and weather for disturbing the roots as you plant them different than they are now. I don't see where you're located...just hope you avoid baking the trees in the sun with bad timing if you're just starting your summer heat. I'd plant in the ground on a tile, in the right location, for growth and earth's care during the winter (if your location has winter). The trees look colorful and healthy...nice total green all over the trees!

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in the Northeast, New York.

However I repot I will keep as much root mass as possible and they will be shaded for most of the summer.

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you closer to Rochester or Buffalo? Check out Bill Valavanis at the International Bonsai Arboretum in Rochester. It's ok to pretty much slip pot the trees this time of year. Tease the roots a bit (without knocking off too much soil) to spread them out and put them in a bonsai soil potting soil combination. I would cut them in half as they are very tall with no taper.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you closer to Rochester or Buffalo? Check out Bill Valavanis at the International Bonsai Arboretum in Rochester.

I'm right in the middle between Buffl0 & Rochester. Somebody else mentioned Bill to me as well. I'm looking forward to heading out there for a visit.

It's ok to pretty much slip pot the trees this time of year. Tease the roots a bit (without knocking off too much soil) to spread them out and put them in a bonsai soil potting soil combination. I would cut them in half as they are very tall with no taper.

Your reading my mind :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
However I repot I will keep as much root mass as possible and they will be shaded for most of the summer.

I was raised in the Buffalo area and do not miss the Winters there as I get older :p You are on the right track. Slip pot them for now into larger containers, preferably wider then tall so the wind does not drive you crazy with them tipping over. I would also suggest a decent amount of stone/rock/gravel in the base of the large containers for additional stability. I have fruit trees in 15 and 12 gallon pots and they can easily keep an 8 foot tall crabapple in place no matter what the winds are here.

Welcome aboard!

Grimmy

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was raised in the Buffalo area and do not miss the Winters there as I get older :p
But, it doesn't snow here any more. In a few years we'll be the Florida of the north :D
Actually, where I'm at a lot of the weather coming off Lake Erie hits Buffalo, goes south of where I'm at, and then comes back up and hits Rochester. But, if the weather comes in off Lake Ontarion then I'm SCREWED :eek:

I would also suggest a decent amount of stone/rock/gravel in the base of the large containers for additional stability.
Yep, already bought the stone for some weight for the bottom of the pots.
Thanks!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll have to think about the 12. ;)

Go big or go home, lol :p I put bare root 18 - 24 inch bare root Fruit trees in a minimum 12 gal in Spring and expect them to grow bushy to a height of 5 foot the first season... Hack and repeat. The Dolgo Crabapple I have is on its 4 season started the same way in a 15 gal. It got away from me and I cut it back to 6 foot last Fall and it is easily 8 foot again while the base is 4 inches... I am keeping all other fruits at 5 foot max based on that one. I also found this year a couple of Cheery trees after two seasons are at only four foot - they are in 2 gallon pots and require at least twice the water... Basic math :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Top Bottom