Getting started

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m trying to figure out where to begin on my first bonsai. What would you consider the first step and the progression to creating my first bonsai? Should I start a few or focus on one? Do I start in organic soil to establish a healthy root system? I know I’m overthinking this so any help getting started would be much appreciated.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's going to depend on your climate. Know that Bonsai are outside trees. I'd go to a few garden centers/box stores and buy a couple of cheaper junipers to keep alive. Go through and find a couple with thicker/interesting trunks.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The first thing to do is to fill out your approximate location and your hardiness zone plus letting us know a little bit more about the microclimate where you are and where you want to keep your bonsai.
A little bit more about your bonsai inspiration will also be helpful. Are you thinking conifers, deciduous etc.? How knowledgeable are you when it comes to keeping and growing trees? For example, if you are a gardener with full knowledge of propagation, grafting, layering etc.. then the move to bonsai can be fairly swift. If not then we will need to take baby steps.

BTW, you are not overthinking it. This is an complex subject that can be a lifetime passion.

Last edited:

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You are definitely not overthinking it. Like me, you are just starting to scratch the surface. I have found the more I learn and the more answers I receive, the more I need to learn and the more questions I have. I feel like the first step is research and getting connected to local clubs and people in your area. I have personally started with a few different trees that do well in the climate I live and learning how to keep them alive. I also bought a few small nursery stock to practice and have fun with some of the techniques of Bonsai. Take time to learn your trees and research how to keep them alive year round outside. I will warn you there is so much more to this hobby/lifestyle than I ever imagined and it’s pretty addicting. Have fun!

Reaction score
What would be a good list of tools to get started?
Would you consider it a monetarily expensive hobby?
I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Any recommendations on easy and cheap first trees? I’m thinking a ficus for indoor.

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Any recommendations on easy and cheap first trees? I’m thinking a ficus for indoor.
Hi
I new to forum also , there are loads of way to start , it does not have to be expensive if your patient, but it can be very expensive if an when you get the bug , caring for them in pots is a great responsibility, they rely on you for everything to stay alive , if you get the bug you will never stop learning and when your having a bad time the daily chore of watering, turning , clipping/styling and feeding your little cherubs will lighten your mood every time my friend , welcome to the joy of bonsai 😎

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

If you’re really set on growing trees indoors, Ficus microcarpa is a good option. As others have said, you’re better off growing trees native to your climate, keeping them outdoors year round. Look at the tree species growing around you and then check to see whether others have been successful training them as bonsai. When you nail down a local species considered easy for bonsai, head to the garden center and look for some healthy ones with thicker trunks. Now is not the best time of year to collect wild trees.

As for tools, you don’t need anything fancy to start. A small pruning saw, bypass garden cutters, and some wire will get you started. Eventually, you’ll want a quality pair of knob cutters to remove branch stubs when pruning. You’ll also want wound sealant for deciduous trees if you’re not leaving a stub from a cut branch. It mitigates water loss and prevents dieback.

As for containers, very early next spring, buy a wide, shallow nursery tray with a mesh bottom, prune the roots to fit in it, and plant the tree in a mix of pumice and finely-chopped orchid bark to start training the roots. Until then, keep your tree in the nursery pot and water thoroughly whenever the surface layer of soil feels dry. Let the pot almost dry out between waterings, but never let it get to the point of dryness.

You’ll find a lot more thorough information amongst the resources section of this site. Much of it will appear contradictory. Different people from different regions growing different trees are going to find that different variations on bonsai techniques work best. Identify someone who lives in a similar climate to yours and copy their methods.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It can be as expensive or inexpensive as you choose. I live a half hour or so from St. Louis and my ficus enjoy their summer outside.

Top Bottom