Getting weird!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve got a few plans in the making.

Mostly I want to ask about the first picture. My plan is to make a larch forest on top of this rock. If this was yours would you leave the deadwood piece as an old dead tree surrounded by larch or would you not use the deadwood and just do a forest. I’m leaning toward no deadwood with a taller larch forest.

second picture planting area is the elevated portion and is inspired by Hagedorns odd cutting board plantings. Don’t mind the long bolts they will be cut off.F63ACF57-3A77-45C6-94D8-3E1C1E8DF0D2.jpeg39D1982A-6F4B-4ED3-A9B4-CB08E4174E09.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve got a few plans in the making.

Mostly I want to ask about the first picture. My plan is to make a larch forest on top of this rock. If this was yours would you leave the deadwood piece as an old dead tree surrounded by larch or would you not use the deadwood and just do a forest. I’m leaning toward no deadwood with a taller larch forest.

second picture planting area is the elevated portion and is inspired by Hagedorns odd cutting board plantings. Don’t mind the long bolts they will be cut off.View attachment 345474View attachment 345475
Not sure I understand adding the deadwood? If you are going to do a tanuki, you should go one route or the other.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe the deadwood is a bit too tall and wide to go with a larch forest. Nice piece though.

What did you make the support from. When I first saw it I thought is was 2 chairs stuck together. But then saw you in background for some perspective!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
saw you in background

I got a $20 saying that's Mrs. S. That's such a Baseball mom pose.

I think the grain of the deadwood speaks a different tale.

I personally still enjoy deadwood more in a fishtank.

You should totally save those threads!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can only see one picture... it's probably the second one, the stand portion. Would love to see the idea, I like oddball stuff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with you guys that the deadwood should go. I’m attaching another pic here with a tree that is about 35”. Also, the plastic stand is hard to understand, I will update this post in the spring when I plant it (you won’t see any of the stand).

Thanks for the thoughts. @sorce good guess, that’s actually my mom who stopped by today.

@JudyB i am attaching another photo I dug up here that shows one tree next to the stones. I screwed a bunch of stones together and attached them to this pot. Plan to add 5-7 larch.

@Graft the support is made out of a cutting board. I agree with your thoughts on the deadwood, I’m going to nix that.

@Cadillactaste 2109F161-3E9C-49EB-AEE9-BB8F0AA0EDF7.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with you guys that the deadwood should go. I’m attaching another pic here with a tree that is about 35”. Also, the plastic stand is hard to understand, I will update this post in the spring when I plant it (you won’t see any of the stand).

Thanks for the thoughts. @sorce good guess, that’s actually my mom who stopped by today.

@JudyB i am attaching another photo I dug up here that shows one tree next to the stones. I screwed a bunch of stones together and attached them to this pot. Plan to add 5-7 larch.

@Graft the support is made out of a cutting board. I agree with your thoughts on the deadwood, I’m going to nix that.

@Cadillactaste View attachment 345546
Nice...I just think the deadwood to heavy. The thickness will make current trees look juvenile. But I like this direction you have! Can't wait to see it implemented.

Top Bottom