Giant American Beech yamadori

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Everyone,
I pulled this monster out yesterday and I'm looking for advice. I wasn't able to collect as many roots as I had hoped so I'm curious what you would do moving forward. Biggest questions are whether I should tent it, and should I reduce any of the small/less significant branching before bud push so the tree doesn't have as much foliage to support. One note is that the picture doesn't depict it well but I was able to save a decent amount of dirt and smaller/fine roots directly under the trunk. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200311_145346.jpg
    20200311_145346.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_20200311_173932_244.jpg
    IMG_20200311_173932_244.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 324

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would not remove any branches or buds. Buds produce leaves which are your solar panels to produce roots.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i would of mixed in a little chopped spagnum moss into the mix, since as you didnt really get much root.. you could sprinkle some on the surface though

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did mix some sphagnum in. I'm going to make some sphagnum/moss top dressing in the coming week or so for repotting season so I'll give it a sprinkle. What is everyone's opinion about whether it needs to be tented or not?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did mix some sphagnum in. I'm going to make some sphagnum/moss top dressing in the coming week or so for repotting season so I'll give it a sprinkle. What is everyone's opinion about whether it needs to be tented or not?

i really dont see any need to put it in a tent. its spring, it needs sun and light. just keep out of strong winds

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In your environment, which I'm assuming is a humid one, I would not think tenting is necessary, but I would think about doing a heat mat under it for root stimulation, and as Bobby said, no wind.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
100% agree with the above. I only tent very small cuttings until they leaf out. I find on bigger plants that an occasional misting is very adequate. Plus you get the advantage of fresh air circulation and less chance of fungus.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely going to get a heat mat. It's in a spot now that's well protected from wind and has moderate shade so I guess all that's left to do is wait!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In reality probably around 4hrs over a few days. The second day I bought a 5ft digging bar and the leverage helped a lot.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Did this tree make it? Just curious, because I have access to land with some nice big( 5-8 inch trunks) American Beech trees that have lower branches and a nice root base. Thought about digging around one half of the tree between now and fall to maybe get roots closer to the trunk...or to help with survival when i dig it up in spring. I live it a sandy area, but they are in the shaded woods and not sure how far the feeder roots are. I will be putting it in the ground in a partially shaded area, hopefully out of the wind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unfortunately not, it pushed a good flush of growth then slowly withered as it started getting warmer. I think if I were to do it again I would tent it with clear plastic to keep the humidity up and protect the leaves from dessication or at least put it in a much more humid environment. I should've went with my gut. If you have the time, I think digging half the roots in the spring and leaving it for a whole season before collecting the following year might give more favorable results when you're not sure how many fine feeder roots there are. Next time I'm going to collect a much larger root ball. I ended up collecting another beech thats thriving that I like better, helped me get over the loss of this one 😅. Good luck collecting!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thoughts from folks on whether digging a wedge around a tree, hornbeam for example, in fall to stimulate fine roots, before collecting the next spring, would be wise? Or is the trauma too recent?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thoughts from folks on whether digging a wedge around a tree, hornbeam for example, in fall to stimulate fine roots, before collecting the next spring, would be wise? Or is the trauma too recent?
I wouldn't do any root work in the fall based on what I've learned from Mirai and a couple other mentors.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
it wasnt the timing. the issue here was not enough root to sustain the tree. ive had a few beech die this slow death. they tend to put out long woody roots with all the feeders at the tips. next time youll need to get a larger root ball.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We all know that you start with the tree that you have, and that you reduce it over time, and that there are no short-cuts. Being clever by twice doesn't mean that the tree is going to be out-smarted. Big tree; big rootball; many cycles of reductions. This is not a new process.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Unfortunately not, it pushed a good flush of growth then slowly withered as it started getting warmer. I think if I were to do it again I would tent it with clear plastic to keep the humidity up and protect the leaves from dessication or at least put it in a much more humid environment. I should've went with my gut. If you have the time, I think digging half the roots in the spring and leaving it for a whole season before collecting the following year might give more favorable results when you're not sure how many fine feeder roots there are. Next time I'm going to collect a much larger root ball. I ended up collecting another beech thats thriving that I like better, helped me get over the loss of this one 😅. Good luck collecting!
I've had 2 bigger ones, maybe 4-5 inch that did this. One died in 2 years. :( The 2 trees up here I find the hardest to keep going are Beech and Hop-hornbeams. They seem to drag on the whole year. Although it looks like most of the smaller ones survived this year, they had a 2nd growth after many of the tips dried off and died. I keep them in shade or try to mimic their old environment. I do try to keep a branch with buds/leaves on them them I dig them up, I think it helps to jump start at least.
I wouldn't do any root work in the fall based on what I've learned from Mirai and a couple other mentors.
I don't see how it would hurt the tree. I know they are slow growers, but early fall before leaves fall they should grow some roots, Leaving one side to sustain it through the winter. It's so sandy here, if it doesn't have roots close to the trunk to hold the sand/soil in, it just falls off when you dig a rootball.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
it wasnt the timing. the issue here was not enough root to sustain the tree. ive had a few beech die this slow death. they tend to put out long woody roots with all the feeders at the tips. next time youll need to get a larger root ball.
Maybe, but if his area of Maine is sandy like here, getting a bigger rootball doesn't give you much but longer big roots. I've been trying to use the trench method, wrap it in plastic on either the whole thing, or half a trench. Obv, for trees like Maples this is pointless.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe, but if his area of Maine is sandy like here, getting a bigger rootball doesn't give you much but longer big roots. I've been trying to use the trench method, wrap it in plastic on either the whole thing, or half a trench. Obv, for trees like Maples this is pointless.

yes then get into a large container and reduce the rootball in stages.

Top Bottom