Giant Forsythia to dig plus

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Does anyone one have any idea how to dig out this giant? It is a Forsythia that has been there since the house so I was told. Also, got two azaleas from the dig.

Attachments

• yAMADORI15 003.jpg
    yAMADORI15 003.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 180
  • yAMADORI15 009.jpg
    yAMADORI15 009.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 177

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Would.......chop off those suckers and leave it till they heal. Knocking off new buds down there when/if they form.

Once that problem is solved, you can trench it, maybe comb out some surface roots, amend the soil there, and dig it after a year or 2.

Or you could tear it out with a truck!
It'll live!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dug one which was at least that size 2 years ago. Removed all unwanted material. After getting it home, I timmed all roots to 4 inches. Put it in a tub. And sold it within 4 months as I could not move it alone, nor keep it watered during the day. That stuff is like a weed. Will pop buds & explode as soon as it realizes there is water. I did not face any die-back. Digging was done late winter.

bonsai_112013-1.jpg bonsai_112013-2.jpg bonsai_112013-5.jpg forsythia-1.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not too crazy about the big clump but really liked the bigger 2(or3)trunk one because of the movement already there and lack of confusion.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Not too crazy about the big clump but really liked the bigger 2(or3)trunk one because of the movement already there and lack of confusion.
Part of the deal, to get them all on that side of the house. But with two nice azaleas, two other type of nice bushes, unknown until they sprout and a honey suckle....it was well worth it.

Top Bottom