Giant group planting Drawf Schefflera

Reaction score
I combined 6 banyan scheffleras to form a group planting today. The overall size is 4 ft wide, 2 deep, and about 2 ft tall. I removed all the soil and separated some of the roots in order to reposition them. I planted it in mostly pea-gravel with a little bit of soil, to help the roots recieve proper oxygen to thicken up... little by little I plan on removing the gravel to expose the roots and eventually I am thinking of perhaps making this a rock slab planting... either a very large slab, or probally more than likely because of weight a manufactured one.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This is the second thread about a "Drawf" Shefflera. Is this a new species? I thought maybe it was one of the trees discovered by my good friend Fred Drawf. :rolleyes::p

Just kidding, of course, it's an easy typo to make.

Reaction score
ha,ha,ha It must be... I wasn't even paying attention !!! It happens...

Last edited:

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That looks great! Did you just picked those up at the nursery? I have zone envy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks, I appreciate it !!! I have had these for sometime, they started off as cuttings that I rooted... this is probally going to be more of a yard bonsai. For as mentioned, I am thinking of making it a slab planting and then putting it in the middle of my Koi pond, so I looks as if it is an island... I think the humidity from the water will set the arieals off, and make it even more crazy...

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work Stacy,it gives you the feel of a thick rain forest.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Stacy, I was wondering how you got these cuttings to root? And does it work with ficus benjaminas too?

Oh, and that is a very impressive forrest planting. I'd love to see it in a couple yrs. after you put it over your koi pond...the aerials I agree would look very cool and more natural. Good Luck!

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That'll be neat in the middle of your koi pond. It'll look like a mini mangrove island. Drop a bunjin pine in the middle, it'll look like an everglades hammock :)

Reaction score
fore, I use spagnum moss for rooting up both Dwarf Schefflera, and ficus...
I take a 4" pot and pack the cutting and damp (not wet) spagnum moss in tight, then put it in the shade and water about once a week... I usually put them on my porch, so I can watch the rain, and make sure the moss does not stay to damp.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow!!!! Congratulations on this. I can't wait to see the finished product.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that were Florida on the intercoastal waterway I would be dropping a shrimp in for some mangrove snapper! It does look like the mangrove trees lining much of the Inetrcoastal near Melbourne Fl. where I love to fish. I like it a lot. It seems you may need a front end loader to move it to your koi pond though :D .

ed

Top Bottom