GIANT SEQUOIA bonsai question...

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
HEllo...
I am total rookie at bonsai but pretty good at standard gardening and indoor gardening.
I currently have 4 indoor seedling of giant sequoia growing in my indoor grow room. My question is how do I bonsai them? they are currently in tiny pots with dirt. their "trunks" are pretty rigid and seem strong can anyone help? they are really nice would love to know how to repot to bonsai

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 146
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
To bonsai any tree means to create an image of a full size and very old tree but in miniature. To do that your tree needs a substantial and believable trunk with proportionate branches and foliage. Since you have a seedling there, you need a trunk to start with. Although it might be possible it is going to take a very long time. Maybe a lifetime in an indoor grow room. If you can keep it alive indoors. It is engineered to live outdoors after all.
For this tree to be a bonsai in a decade you need to plant it in the ground and just grow it until you have a good size trunk. Then go from there. There are book and books and endless amounts of information available to guide you through the process. You have plenty of time!

What most would suggest would be to start with a nursery tree or dig one that already has a good couple inches wide trunk. We can help you go from there.

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey

Understood but I've seen sequoias bonsais and the trunk isn't full grown obviously cause it's huge lol.. Just like the bonsai maples ... Maybe if I plant the seedling... Let the trunk get slightly bigger and than try?

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 132

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The tree that you posted probably took a couple of decades to produce. At least. I would spend a good deal of time researching Giant Sequoia as they aren't the easiest species to work with. That way, once it starts to get to a size where you can work with it you will know what to do.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When I first got into bonsai it took me a decade to get my head around the fact that if you want a tree that will finish at say 24 inches tall, you need to shop the section of the nursery that has the 6 to 12 foot trees.

I have a Pomegranate that I did the opposite with, I started with a tiny cutting, and it lived all its life in a bonsai pot. It is my first tree and it is still with me. Its now 41 years old, 16 inches tall and only one inch in diameter. Trunks do not bulk up very quickly at all if a seedling is treated like bonsai its entire life. It is, no matter how ugly it is, my old friend, and I won't part with it. I made all my beginner mistakes with it and it survived. I've posted photos somewhere though search did not turn them up on my first try.

You can do some great trees in an indoor light garden. Ficus, Pomegranate, Eugenia, Nashia, Gardenia, Jaboticaba, and literally thousands of tropical and subtropical trees can be grown under a good light garden.

Sequoia is a full sun, outdoor tree. It is hardy to zone 7 at least, possibly the warmer end of zone 6. If you have access to growing these outdoors, they would probably do better than in a light garden. Depending on your micro climate you might be able to plant them in the ground outside. But if you can't put them out, the light garden will have to do. Jack Winkle from Michigan, grows (or grew, he has to be in his late 80's if he is still alive) Mendocino cypress year round in a light garden and has turned out some nice, convincing trees. Hopefully someone can post a link to the articles he wrote on indoor bonsai. You might be able to keep the sequoia going, if your light garden is bright enough for good results with full sun plants (tomatoes, marajuana or peppers for example) Just joking about the weed. :cool:

Grow the sequoia out, bigger than your final plan, get them big and bushy. This may take 3 or more years. Then you can do your first styling. Right now they are too sparse to cut anything. they need all the foliage they have to get them to bulk up. Get some other species to work on while you are waiting for the sequoia to bulk up. And read articles, forums, books and such in the mean time.

Shop at a florist or nursery for Ficus or Pomegranate, or some other tropical tree, look for specimens with trunks in the 2 to 4 inch range, they may be more than 5 feet tall, don't let that worry you. Bring them home and chop them down to fit the light garden, That's the fun part. Key is start with a thick trunk, and reduce the tree to size. This technique will get you a convincing tree much quicker than start small and growing it up. Best to shop with a tape measure in hand. You want a tree with some low foliage that will be left after chopping to fit the light garden.

In your reading look for articles mentioning the use of sacrifice branches. You will have to use this technique to bulk up the trunks of your sequoia.

And welcome to the forum. Bonsai is can be a rewarding life long hobby.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny, there was just a discussion about giant sequoia on the facebook "bonsai talk" group.

I have found very little information on the internet about this species as bonsai. The only link of note is this one, by Craig Coussins: http://www.barcham.co.uk/trees/sequoiadendron-giganteum-giant-redwood-wellingtonia
Similarly, information in books is rare - but there is one in Harry Tomlinson's "The Complete Book of Bonsai", actually one of the better trees in his book in my opinion.

I have been working with this species for a few years. I acquired 2 young seedlings and grew them in pots for a few years. Outside in the summer, in the barn shelter during the winter (27-28 F temperature minimum). Very slow growth in the pot, so last year I decided to plant one of them in the ground. Well... that one didn't survive the winter (had to pick the coldest winter in memory to plant it outside of course). I would think they would be hardy in the ground in NYC, though.

Good luck, based on my limited experience it will be many years before your plants develop enough of a trunk to think about any bonsai styling.

Chris

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all the tips. I still need to do major reading. I couldn't even imagine buying a. 6 foot tree. Cutting it to a bonsai size and having it survive. That's seems amazing to me.... I've grown African baobabs. Trident maples... Sequoias
Fly traps. Tomatoes. All in my indoor closet. I'm going to post up some pics....

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
Pics.......

Planing on growing olive. Pomegranate and coffe been this year

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 61

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm surprised you're able to grow trees that require dormancy indoors...

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
Dormancy

You can usually skip a year. But after a year or two I would give then some sort of dormancy even it you just lower the lights and temp a little...my room drops pretty drastically in the winter I would say in summer is 80 and winter 60. The sequoias were outside in the shade this summer and grew drastically ... The stratification of the seeds isn't easy. Of 100 seeds maybe 10 sprout in the fridge .

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You can usually skip a year. But after a year or two I would give then some sort of dormancy even it you just lower the lights and temp a little...my room drops pretty drastically in the winter I would say in summer is 80 and winter 60. The sequoias were outside in the shade this summer and grew drastically ... The stratification of the seeds isn't easy. Of 100 seeds maybe 10 sprout in the fridge .

Even still, 60 isn't low enough for dormancy.

When I grew sequoia from seed I always got lucky with a high germination rate.

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
Seeds

Even still, 60 isn't low enough for dormancy.

When I grew sequoia from seed I always got lucky with a high germination rate.

This year is the second year I'm not going to do a dormancy lets see what happens....
The seed percentage I think depends on where you get them I think... But their so cheap even if 75% are lost it's not big deal I guess.
But from what I noticed indoor growing your making your own environment and the plants adapt. Growth may be affected i highly doubt the plant would die from not going dormant.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
But from what I noticed indoor growing your making your own environment and the plants adapt. Growth may be affected i highly doubt the plant would die from not going dormant.

I wouldn't doubt it, it's certainly possible.

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
This year is the second year I'm not going to do a dormancy lets see what happens....
The seed percentage I think depends on where you get them I think... But their so cheap even if 75% are lost it's not big deal I guess.

I love seeing posts like this. Rock on with your experiment, I'm about to go into year 2 of a similar one w/out dormancy. Mine aren't dead yet either.

Tonyd2435

Seedling
Reaction score
I love seeing posts like this. Rock on with your experiment, I'm about to go into year 2 of a similar one w/out dormancy. Mine aren't dead yet either.

Life always finds a way

Top Bottom