Giant spruce collection puck up

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Say this on my way to work this morning on the curb side.. no telling how long its been there, either Saturday or yesterday.. the roots could all be dry but I figured its worth a shot for this beast. curretly sitting in the kiddie pool in my back yard.. I'll spray it again at lunch and plant it in my yard after work. Luckily I just got 5 yards of topsoil dropped off last week. any tips on how to keep this beast alive would be appreciated. its for my yard not bonsai but I figure someone here might have some tips

V7bY5WO.jpg

9biNJsc.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Merry Xmas!

I don't think a reduction is a good idea: if you prune it, that means more stress. If some branches die, you'll have time to think about pruning or "jinning" when the tree is established, don't you think so?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I put some snake oil in that pool... just sprayed it down again. I dont plan to reduce it unless someone is very sure about that recommendation. im going to plant and stake it in a spot that gets a lot of sun but is shaded at about 4 pm, going to amed the clay where it will be planted with top soil and ace manure.. mulched and staked. I plan to water it everyday.. for whatever reason though I've had bad luck with spruce in my yard. contemplating mixing a whole bag of floor dry into the ground where it will be planted as well..

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Two words...wood chipper.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
All you can do is give it lots of water and fertilize well. They are pretty resilient, I kinda think you have a decent chance at survival. They like a lot of water. Hit it with a hose at least once a day.

There's a product that the hydro community uses called Rhizotonic that is supposed to be miraculous for severe root damage. I'm actually going to pick myself up some today. I just repotted a ponderosa pine that had almost no roots, I'm giving it like 10% chance. But can't hurt to try. People are reporting the use of Rhizotonic every day for 2-3 weeks for stressed trees. Fertilize once a week. Pray to the spruce Gods.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All you can do is give it lots of water and fertilize well. They are pretty resilient, I kinda think you have a decent chance at survival. They like a lot of water. Hit it with a hose at least once a day.

There's a product that the hydro community uses called Rhizotonic that is supposed to be miraculous for severe root damage. I'm actually going to pick myself up some today. I just repotted a ponderosa pine that had almost no roots, I'm giving it like 10% chance. But can't hurt to try. People are reporting the use of Rhizotonic every day for 2-3 weeks for stressed trees. Fertilize once a week. Pray to the spruce Gods.

thanks Bobby, I was pegging this one with about 40% chance.. I've heard about that stuff maybe ill get some.. I need to go to the grow shop to get a giant bag of perlite anyway.. how much is that stuff? its like the person who tore it out tried to give it a chance... there was another huge bush next to it with about 100 lbs of dirt balled with the roots.. thinking about scooping that on my way home.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Just my opinion... The tree was not dug as a transplant to survive. It appears to have been yanked out. Lots of trama to the roots. Worst, to the fine hair roots that sustain the tree. Also left out for an indeterminate period of time. You have barely minutes to keep roots in air like that without massive die off. The remaining root ball if you can call it that with soil is not sufficient to support the tree. Even if by some remote chance the tree lives, there will be so much needle drop and branch dieback, that it won't be an attractive tree in the landscape. All it's energy for years will be spent trying to live and recover, not grow. My advice, which you can take or leave. Take the money you are spending on soils and amendments and go buy a spruce from a nursery, big box store, etc. In the long run, money much better spent.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
fair enough, you are probably right, if it were a bet, I wouldn't take it. im still going to see what happens, for the sake of research. Everyone in my neighborhood already thinks im a hillbilly, with good reason I guess.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would go dig up a bunch of the humus layer material from your surrounding woods and amend your soil mix with that by around 50 percentish. I've had great luck transplanting conifers into that kind of bed. I think that will help more than Rhizotonic. I have used the Rhizotonic a bit for the last couple years but can't say if it helps, it's just marine algae. image.jpg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
If this is your experiment without high expectations, I'll respect that. I'll just add to what others have contributed.
Don't plant it too deep, (top of root ball below ground level). Stake it well, not sufficient roots to anchor it against wind. You won't have to water as often as a potted bonsai, but don't blow off watering as needed. This tree won't survive it. Good luck.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would go dig up a bunch of the humus layer material from your surrounding woods and amend your soil mix with that by around 50 percentish. I've had great luck transplanting conifers into that kind of bed. I think that will help more than Rhizotonic. I have used the Rhizotonic a bit for the last couple years but can't say if it helps, it's just marine algae. View attachment 102800

hey thats a good idea, going mushroom huntin tomorrow and I've got one more tree to collect so ill do grab a few buckets and rake it in.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nothing yet, I have mostly whites and yellows by me, I hear the blacks are being found though. high night temps tonight and tomorrow so it will be soon, probably out there right now.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well it rained quite a few days since I planted this spruce.. No tellin if it's dead but I collected a big ol cedar the other day and plunked it next to it. Even if it does die it will keep my neighbors from peepin in my yard!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 33

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nothing yet, I have mostly whites and yellows by me, I hear the blacks are being found though. high night temps tonight and tomorrow so it will be soon, probably out there right now.

I was morel picking yesterday, sort of...,
Still early so they are just popping, came home with 6 little mushrooms. Car broke down on back road, big tow bill, no cell service, family was all out with me. It was all a bit epic and not really worthwhile to say the least!

Top Bottom