Giant yamadori

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and I've been interested in bonsai for a while, but didn't have much success.

Looking for advice on a huge yamadori I found. They where doing excavation and dug up a very large juniper (I believe)

There wasn't much left of the roots, but I've planted it in regular soil so it wouldn't die.

The attached pictures are shot using super wide angle, so the proportions might seem off.

There's no way I can transport a tree that size, so I need to trim it down, but I fear that since winter is around the corner, it might be too late.

Any suggestions on what I could do with this specimen?20191006_102254.jpg20191006_103433.jpg20191006_103452.jpg20191006_102159.jpg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It might be too late already. The combination of too few roots left and a poorly draining soil will probably kill it before the winter. It is a juniper, so I would not touch the foliage in the hopes that it might pull through. Try and find help to move it as it is! Good luck

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did a collection of a larger size last year in the dead of winter. They didn't die, but they only just came back to life.
Well draining soil is a necessity, without it, junipers will surely struggle or die. If you can provide that within a week, I think it'll have a chance to make it. It's not going to restore itself before spring, so it might be wise to change that soil now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't get too attached to this. The regular soil and insubstantial root mass are big problems.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Your personal definition of
There wasn't much left of the roots,
Really matters.

It could be plenty.
It could be none.

Either way, watching it die will educate you.

Sorce

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm going to change the soil I'm a few days. Other than well draining, should it be rich ?

There are about 5 roots half an inch thick and 2 feet long a small rootball about 10 inch in diameter.

Should I attempt to cut off excess branches now, or leave that for next year, if it survives?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Should I attempt to cut off excess branches now, or leave that for next year, if it survives?
I wouldn't at all. Junipers growing power is in thw foliage so you want to keep as much as you can for now. And even if it does make it through the winter you are going to want to wait a full year at least before doing any work to it. You need a healthy tree first.

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
I'll be bringing the tree to a zone 4b during winter. Should I build a box for the roots and burry in in the ground? Or since the roots are so small, should I plant it directly in soil and wait a year or more and dig it up again?

I'll leave the branches for later as suggested

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be bringing the tree to a zone 4b during winter. Should I build a box for the roots and burry in in the ground? Or since the roots are so small, should I plant it directly in soil and wait a year or more and dig it up again?

I'll leave the branches for later as suggested
Building a box and placing it in the ground will only make the soil drainage issue you will have with this tree worse. Directly into the soil is best.

The amount of roots you mention you got is a very big problem. Not really enough for a conifer to get going on. Conifers, unlike deciduous species, don't do well with extreme root reduction. This tree most likely had 99 percent reduction of its root mass...pretty drastic.

I would not bareroot the tree again to change the soil-well draining soil is not "rich" That is the point. The free draining part is the most important as it encourages air exchange at the roots, which helps regeneration.

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
Building a box and placing it in the ground will only make the soil drainage issue you will have with this tree worse. Directly into the soil is best.

The amount of roots you mention you got is a very big problem. Not really enough for a conifer to get going on. Conifers, unlike deciduous species, don't do well with extreme root reduction. This tree most likely had 99 percent reduction of its root mass...pretty drastic.

I would not bareroot the tree again to change the soil-well draining soil is not "rich" That is the point. The free draining part is the most important as it encourages air exchange at the roots, which helps regeneration.

Wouldn't that cause issues when I dig it up again and destroy new roots?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't that cause issues when I dig it up again and destroy new roots?
This is the traditional trade off when deciding whether to put collected material back in the ground to recover or keep containerized. Both offer advantages and disadvantages. Having to re-collect a tree is one of the disadvantages of putting it back in the ground. In-ground can offer quicker and more complete recovery than a similar time in a container. Also the resulting root mass the plant will generate in the (AT LEAST) 3 years in the ground to recover will be no where near the original root mass, so you will be removing a lot less the second time you dig it up.

Also, it is important to note again that if you put the tree in the ground, IT SHOULD STAY THERE FOR AT LEAST THREE YEARS. Any less, putting it in the ground is mostly useless as it won't be able to capitalize on the location in less than that time.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm going to change the soil I'm a few days. Other than well draining, should it be rich ?

There are about 5 roots half an inch thick and 2 feet long a small rootball about 10 inch in diameter.

Just use straight pumice. Nothing else. Do not cut anything. Junipers derive their strength from the foliage. It will need it.

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
Just use straight pumice. Nothing else. Do not cut anything. Junipers derive their strength from the foliage. It will need it.
Would I need to cover with something to prevent the roots from freezing , it can get to -40 over here

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
Would it work in a box with proper drainage and pumice?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would it work in a box with proper drainage and pumice?
Correction: Those would be the best possible conditions you give to this tree. It is still unlikely to make it to winter, though

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Put it in the ground in full sun. Mulch it heavily with pine needles. 2021 late spring make a judgement as to how much progress it made growing roots. If lots and lots, begin the reduction process and put it in your box. If not, grow it on in the ground.

Maciek

Seedling
Reaction score
So these are the roots. All the local shops where out of pumice, so I used cactus soil mixed with lots of perlite. Now I have the option to keep it in a garage, but temp is 10-15 celsius all winter, or I can leave it outside.

What would be the most viable solution here?

Attachments

• 20191014_171716.jpg
    20191014_171716.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191014_171824.jpg
    20191014_171824.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 50

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where were the pictures taken? Also well as where are you located?

Top Bottom