Gifted JPB - questions

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good news! The tree is going to Rivers Edge in late Feb./early Mar. for careful repotting, wiring and the start of rehabilitation under the guidance of Frank Corrigan. I’m very excited for this opportunity and for the prospects of this Black Pine.
I will update the thread as the process continues …

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! I love seeing the pieces coming into place for a promising and challenging tree. If anyone can get it to turn the corner, health and style wise, it will be @River's Edge . I’m only a bit jealous of your network to draw from, which should really only encourage me to develop my local network.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update:

Frank Corrigan took the tree and did the repot in early March. This is what he found:

Repot Summary of findings!

1. The mica pot has smaller drainage holes for the size of the pot, not great for pines that like dry feet.

2. Tree not secured when last repotted so fine roots would continually break with any movement.

3. Soil composition too fine of organic as well as too small particle size for the grit. Would not drain well, nor would it hold proper levels of oxygen for root growth.

4. Found very few healthy roots, although the bottom layer of grit held healthy mycorrhizae.

IMG_0947.jpegIMG_0946.jpeg
Steps Taken:

1.removed all rotted roots and compacted fine soil wherever possible, but not bare rooted!

2. carefully replaced with larger particle inorganic soil, filling all cavities and allowing for new root formation on the bottom and all sides.

3. Anderson flats were used, one for the tree and one to provide better drainage and gas exchange. The bottom flat is drilled with extra side holes for gas exchange and drainage if placed on the ground or a solid surface.

4. tree is secured within the flat.

5. Soil mix is equal parts Akadama, Grit and pumice. Bottom layer has more larger particles for better drainage and gas exchange.

6. treatment applied for fungal issues and insects. Both are granular and will provide protection for this entire growing season during recovery. Mostly preventative due to the weaker condition of the tree.

PS: I am fairly confident the tree will respond very well once it starts to recover. Can begin fertilization after six weeks as discussed.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best in Bonsai,
Frank

IMG_0948.jpeg

The tree seemed to languish for the next few weeks, not really putting out candles, but finally in June the small brown buds opened into needle clusters. Feeling encouraged, and very grateful to @River's Edge for his help and guidance!

IMG_0949.jpegIMG_0950.jpeg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Glad to see this tree getting expert care! After it recovers and get a redesign, it could be a winner.

The stacked Anderson flats interest me. The bottom one also contains the same substrate mix, but with larger particle Size? My bonsai teacher instructs me to grow my trees with the containers on soil beds or the ground, is this aiming to achieve a similar effect?

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see this tree getting expert care! After it recovers and get a redesign, it could be a winner.

The stacked Anderson flats interest me. The bottom one also contains the same substrate mix, but with larger particle Size? My bonsai teacher instructs me to grow my trees with the containers on soil beds or the ground, is this aiming to achieve a similar effect?
No, the bottom flat is empty. It is just to keep the top one raised in lieu of feet.
I use these to elevate other flats and nursery pots:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09TQRRG95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0972.jpeg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
These look like a nicer solution than my pot risers, some of which are holding up massive 12-15" pots.

Top Bottom