Gifting the bonsai hobby: for $350, what to buy for the ideal starter set?

misti

Seed
Reaction score
I would like to give my husband the gift of the bonsai hobby. I've set $350 as a budget, and I'd like to set him up with quality tools and supplies to get him started. I come to you guys (the experts) for advice.

Here's why I think he'll love this gift (and it would be a surprise!).

1. While driving, he remarks on passing trees that strike his fancy on their balance and beauty.

2. He's in desperate need and want of a relaxing hobby to wind down after a day at his high stress job

3. He's patient, methodical, and meticulous; traits that I think would be an asset to bonsai.

4. Despite being a left-brainer, he has an appreciation for art, especially in terms of balance.

He has given me incredible birthday gifts for my own hobby (Leatherworking), and I would like to return the favour. He's "the guy who has everything", but sometimes laments over having no pastime with which to unwind and occupy his evenings. This is something I'm sure he'll love.. and on the off-chance that he doesn't, my reading on the topic has piqued my own interest to try ;)

If Leatherworking has taught me anything, it's to buy quality tools and supplies from the very beginning to start off on the right foot. With $350, what do you think would be the ideal starter kit? We live in Quebec where winters are ridiculous, so I think we'd prefer to work with indoor trees.

On the day if his birthday, I'm thinking of starting off his gift by taking him to the local nursery to pick out a young tree with the right traits. I won't tell him what it's for until we get home, where he'll surely guess as he unwraps the rest.

Let me know what you think!

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Just my opinion but you can't go wrong investing this money in a quality tree and giving him something to work with. Better to have something he will be enjoying immediately instead of something he has to wait years for.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get him a good all around bonsai book or two and a starter set of tools. After he has studied and read up he can go and pick out a tree that interests him. $350 will not go far if you are buying good quality tools, wire, tree etc... He can upgrade tools as needed in the years to come. One tree will not keep him occupied for long but the studying, which is very important, can.
BTW it a very thoughtful gift.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I applaud your thoughtfulness with this gifting. I wouldn't take him to a regular nursery, and purchase a tree that isn't looked at for the correct "bonsai" traits. And if you look for that tree in that way, he'll know (he's obviously not dense) what you're doing. A couple ideas...

I would find a local bonsai nursery that you can do a package "Birthday" deal with. They could let him pick out a tree, have a short workshop session with the tree, and get the few tools that he'll need to get started. I would go and talk to the folks at the nursery and see if they can put this sort of package together, you'd be surprised how interested they might be to help you out.

Also you'd be surprised how many great outside trees that you can have where you live, although I do think it's a good idea to have inside ones, to have a winter portion of the hobby. Just know that trees inside are harder to keep alive and thriving, you may need to invest in lighting and humidification devices. And also know that your choices of type of trees inside are very limited. Ficus can do well with little fuss, so may be a good indoor idea. Even indoor trees do like to be outside in the summer, so having an outdoor placement is a plus.

If you can't find a nursery and there is a local club, you could buy him a membership to this club. He can purchase trees from other members,(or they'll know where the good stuff is) and get hands on mentoring for what he winds up with.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Where are you located? That could help in refering you to someone.
I'd suggest a pair of shears, a branch cutter, a small rolls of 2.0, 3.0,3.5 and 4.0 aluminum bonsai wire and and 3-4 5 gallon junipers and boxwoods if he's the kind to start on his own. That should be close to in your budget. Judy's idea is a great one as well.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's very nice idea, a good tool with a nice tree to start is great.
As for the tool bonsaioutlet.com master grade round edge cutter is great and a bowed handle shear.
The tree is tricky try remembering the look of the trees he saw that will sure help in finding
What he likes, old twisted or smooth even branching. A old tree shows natural signs harsh times and smooth tree meaning more feminine so a younger tree is what is best.
Trees go in every direction YOU can get good material $200 to $300.

Best regards,
Rishi.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Really nice gift idea.

I saw a website how-to-bonsai.com. I just googled bonsai nurseries quebec and about the 3rd link down you'll see it. It provides a fairly comprehensive list throughout Canada for nurseries and just about everything else. There are a couple of members here too from up your way, so hopefully they can chime in for appropriate species and supplies.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I applaud your thoughtfulness with this gifting. I wouldn't take him to a regular nursery, and purchase a tree that isn't looked at for the correct "bonsai" traits. And if you look for that tree in that way, he'll know (he's obviously not dense) what you're doing. A couple ideas...

I would find a local bonsai nursery that you can do a package "Birthday" deal with. They could let him pick out a tree, have a short workshop session with the tree, and get the few tools that he'll need to get started. I would go and talk to the folks at the nursery and see if they can put this sort of package together, you'd be surprised how interested they might be to help you out.

Also you'd be surprised how many great outside trees that you can have where you live, although I do think it's a good idea to have inside ones, to have a winter portion of the hobby. Just know that trees inside are harder to keep alive and thriving, you may need to invest in lighting and humidification devices. And also know that your choices of type of trees inside are very limited. Ficus can do well with little fuss, so may be a good indoor idea. Even indoor trees do like to be outside in the summer, so having an outdoor placement is a plus.

If you can't find a nursery and there is a local club, you could buy him a membership to this club. He can purchase trees from other members,(or they'll know where the good stuff is) and get hands on mentoring for what he winds up with.

Very good advice. There is a lot to bonsai. Going to a bonsai nursery and maybe doing a class is the best bet. You should have some guidance about bonsai before you start working with a tree. Although it takes years to learn, a good beginner class could help him work with the one particular tree and take care of it. If a tree is not pruned correctly, the tree could die in the first month. Finding a tree with some guidance is the best bet.

Rob

misti

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice!

Getting him signed up for a beginners workshop or membership to a club sounds like a very smart place to start.

We're based in Montreal, Quebec. I did a quick search online and there do seem to be active bonsai groups in this area. Any recommendations for a good store and a good place for lessons? My husband is fluent in French, so language is no problem.

I've ordered 3 books: The Complete Book of Bonsai, Art of Bonsai, and Bonsai Workshop.

When he admires natural trees, he talks about the "balance of the overall tree", which I think might be referring to symmetry.

Ficus sounds like a hardy and versatile beginner's tree, and we could of course keep it outside in the summer (and bring it in for winter). It sounds like a good idea to get him a starter tree rather than a handful of seeds. He could pick his own at his beginner lesson.

How's this set for beginner tools? Looks like it has a little of everything for $100, and he can replace the ones he likes most at a later time.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Bonsai-T...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aef07441a&_uhb=1

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
as a beginner, I would advice to join a club and learn the basics before buying a good piece of specimen. I learned from my mistakes.. I don't want somebody to do the same. hehe bonsai is an expensive hobby too. especially here in Canada if you don't know where to look for materials. once you pop, you cant stop..;) a quality set of bonsai tools is a nice start.. at least they wont die if you made a mistake.. hehe

regards, mark

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your advice!

How's this set for beginner tools? Looks like it has a little of everything for $100, and he can replace the ones he likes most at a later time.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Bonsai-T...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aef07441a&_uhb=1

I have seen these tools before and they are damn nice for the money. I have many name brand tools and these are on par with many of them. I think many people look past these because they are on ebay and no one can get this many tools for the price of one name brand tool. The thing is, even if they only lasted two years, you could buy them every two years and still save a lot of money.

These tools come from Los Angelas Bonsai, the largest supplier of roadside bonsai in California. Sure they are made in China, just like my I-phone.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Smoke. This was my first set of Bonsai tools and I still use a couple of them. I replaced them one at a time as money allowed. Get him to join a local Bonsai club for sure.
Tona

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I agree with smoke also, as I did buy a similar set and still use a few of them.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These are not only the tools I started with, but they are the ones I still use... (I did buy a better pair of pruning scissors...)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Take him to the Jardain Botanique (I'm sure I murdered the spelling) to see on of the world's better collections on bonsai and penjing. It is in Montreal.

And BE CERTAIN that bonsai is something HE will want to do. It takes perseverance and dedication; it is not an off-and-on hobby. Otherwise the disappointment on both your parts will be difficult. Many a tree has died because some loved one gave the unsuspecting other an unwanted and eventually unloved tree.

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All good advice above. I would add that you should not rule out outdoor bonsai in Quebec. In the end I think you will find it easier to maintain healthy vigorous plants outdoors than in. Some simple winter protection will often be required but you will not have to try to create an artificial environment indoors. It's just a case of working with plants suitable to your climate. If you are in an apartment without a yard it may be a different story, you will need very very clod hardy plants to successfully overwinter on a balcony I believe. Good luck, hope he enjoys the gift.
Mp (from B.C. Zone 3)

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought on this a little more and feel like I should mention that my advice above relates more to the future should the 2 of you decide to pursue the hobby more fully. I think it would be nice to have a plant of some sort to go with tools. Look around a local nursery, try to find something inexpensive with a distinct trunk and many branches close together. When the gift is received he can have the fun of selecting a few branches to remove and a bit of wire to place the remainder. Don't expect to repot at the same time and don't try to prune to the finished shape all in one go. If its a little ficus or something to sit on a window sill that's fine or a cold hardy conifer to stay outdoors in a nursery pot till next year is also fine. Remember the first tree may not survive it is something to set the hook and then a lot of research and learning needs to follow.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree

I like the idea around letting him select a tree or multiple trees. His interest will be better if the tree reflects a view of what catches his eye...Deciduous or Coniferous at a basic level. As a beginner the tree should be a type he admires while out on those rides, walks, hikes and other adventures. I think...he'll seriously enjoy the tree hunting as a part of the involvement in bonsai. Selecting the tree himself is the best start to the bonsai addiction. Some help from a local club member will be a good start in guiding him along the basics of what to look for...as long as the club member remembers what the starting point is really like for a beginner. Some forget that point in time. There may be club members who have "extra" trees to help a new member start.

Your local botanical garden is also a great resource for conversation with a botanist and they likely have some trees on display year-round. It's also an excellent location to stroll and look at the structure of trees up close...good fun for the both of you.

It may be summer now by you...but look for a bonsai show in your area...maybe closer to the beginning of autumn. This would also make a great getaway for the two of you and really feed his desire to get engaged in bonsai....an opportunity to talk to others in bonsai as well as vendors of tools and supplies.

As far as beginner tools...a knob cutter and shears are a good starting point along with some wound sealant / cut paste (the green paste in a green tube). Save those wooden chopsticks around the house for root management and repotting. I'd resist buying "pots" right away...let him get involved when the time is right. There are a couple of really good beginner books I have used (and still refer to today) that give good basic guidance. I'll get the titles if interested.

A good website for information is http://www.bonsai4me.com
Lots of terrific detail and how-to information.

A good place for him to sign-up for bonsai information is right here at bonsainut.com. Very helpful and knowledgeable people...and thousands of pages of commentary.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to echo and reinforce what was said...

1. Have him join a local club.
2. Use locally adapted trees if possible (#1 above can help you with this). Indoor plants are much more complicated and failure rate is higher. For a few small trees is may work but big (and plenty) can turn to frustrating work (instead of fun) fast.
3. You can get the cheap tool set but plan on upgrading some of it (probably the concave cutter and knob cutter--my 2 most used tools).
4. Depending on how he learns; books and magazines may be a good way. I love Bonsai Focus magazine which is a bit expensive but can be found used for reasonable price.

Good luck!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Take him to the Jardain Botanique (I'm sure I murdered the spelling) to see on of the world's better collections on bonsai and penjing. It is in Montreal.

And BE CERTAIN that bonsai is something HE will want to do. It takes perseverance and dedication; it is not an off-and-on hobby. Otherwise the disappointment on both your parts will be difficult. Many a tree has died because some loved one gave the unsuspecting other an unwanted and eventually unloved tree.

For the life of me, I can't remember the bonsai curators name is, but he is very good and involved with a local club. I am sure he would be glad to help out with recommendations.

Top Bottom