GINGKO "CHI-CHI"

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree originally came from Don Blackmond early last year. For some reason, it did not come out of dormancy until late July of that same year! This year it seems to back on schedule. It has a massive trunk probably created form several trees fusing together as they grew. It has several chic-chi or breasts already formed. It was recently repotted into a Koyo container that I think will look stunning against its autumn clear yellow.

IMG_1592 a.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

This is a rough sketch of what I have in mind for developing this tree further.

IMG_1592.jpg

Last edited:

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some 3 year old seedlings. The buds are at exactly the same stage as yours.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I knew immediately you had offered it new shoes. What an amazing specimen.. so glad it's back on track. I recall last year...holding my breath...waiting on it to wake up. Thanks for sharing this tree again.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I knew immediately you had offered it new shoes. What an amazing specimen.. so glad it's back on track. I recall last year...holding my breath...waiting on it to wake up. Thanks for sharing this tree again.

Thanks Darlene. I was worried too but the only reassurance I had is that all branches remain green underneath. Very strange.

BTW apologies for the horrible photos. Switching over to direct loads to the site and photos are uploading a bit blurry. Still figuring it out. I have tried proper file sizing, resizing etc. not sure what the deal is? I will keep at it.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
lol. My thought on first glance was the iron throne, as well, though that might just be because GoT just started back up. What an awesome tree and a cool pot.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
lol. My thought on first glance was the iron throne, as well, though that might just be because GoT just started back up. What an awesome tree and a cool pot.

Yes it sure looks like the Iron Throne. I also reminds me in some abstract way of a gothic cathedral.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 10.09.20 AM.png

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mid summer update. This ginkgo has done well this year. To put things in perspective, it was right around this time last year that this tree came out of its winter dormancy! I was unsure what to expect this year. But here it is back on a regular schedule. Looking forward to the autumn color!

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was soooo waiting on photos of your Ginkgo 🥰 made my night. Love the black background...reminds me of night fall. Was out and admiring my own yellow foliage. It seems to just glow in the dark was around it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was soooo waiting on photos of your Ginkgo 🥰 made my night. Love the black background...reminds me of night fall. Was out and admiring my own yellow foliage. It seems to just glow in the dark was around it.

It is not quite at peak color yet. But these gingkoes color up so beautifully! I will see if I get a chance to photograph it during the day.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man I love that pot! It works so well in all seasons but man does it work with those autumn colors.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man I love that pot! It works so well in all seasons but man does it work with those autumn colors.

After seeing this beautiful one in Madrid at the Alcobendas Bonsai Museum in a similar pot, it made rethink my original choice. Glad I did.

I let it grow unchecked until about august and cut it back somewhat to start building the top of the canopy. Those will get wired and hoping I can start the building process off of those leaders. Ginkgo is not so easy. I'd like to ask those with long term experience (ie @Brian Van Fleet, @William N. Valavanis ) with them what is your approach to promote ramification.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 9.31.47 AM.png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The tree is awesome, but I don't think it really works with that pot. Maybe you should find another, and send that pot to me.;):D

Top Bottom