Ginkgo Biloba seeds have a funny way of germinating...

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of you you probably knew this already but for me it was a whole new experience...

While other seeds just start with a tap root that pushes the seed upwards and in the end the first leaves push the seed shell off, Ginkgo Biloba has another way of doing this.
First it seems to produce a tap root but this root splits in 2 and from the split tap root another piece of growth emerges going straight up. I guess that will be the actual tree. The seeds just stay on the ground.

Any advice on what to do next? Besides just letting it grow? :)

I learn something new every day :)

20180517_171816[14070].jpg20180517_171823[14071].jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just let it grow and enjoy your tree. They're pretty fascinating!

Reaction score
Most of you you probably knew this already but for me it was a whole new experience...

While other seeds just start with a tap root that pushes the seed upwards and in the end the first leaves push the seed shell off, Ginkgo Biloba has another way of doing this.
First it seems to produce a tap root but this root splits in 2 and from the split tap root another piece of growth emerges going straight up. I guess that will be the actual tree. The seeds just stay on the ground.

Any advice on what to do next? Besides just letting it grow? :)

I learn something new every day :)

View attachment 192492View attachment 192493
I am starting some seeds in so cal. Do you think the timing is wrong since 3 months from now it will be late fall? Also, do you think I should leave in my fridge covered in soil or without?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am starting some seeds in so cal. Do you think the timing is wrong since 3 months from now it will be late fall? Also, do you think I should leave in my fridge covered in soil or without?
Do not plant them now. You can put them dry in the fridge until january and then start the stratification. Normally I would say you can also put them in the ground in late fall and let nature do it's magic but since you live in so cal I have no idea on how they will respond without a cold dormancy. Shouldn't be that hard to get them top germinate if you just plant them early spring.

This is the info that's on Sheffields.com :

Scarification: Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
Stratification: cold stratify for 60 days.
Germination: sow 1-2" deep, keep moist, mulch the seed bed, can be sown outdoors in the fall for spring germination.
Other: stratification improves germination, but is not required.

Top Bottom