Ginkgo Biloba

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
I live in Texas and I planted a Ginkgo Biloba tree about 13 years ago and it is struggling. The neighhood cats has used it as a scratching post and I do not know if the poor guy can be saved or not. I have read that the Ginkgo Biloba survived Hiroshima but can it survive cats? I would love some advice because I feel like I am torturing my tree.

Attachments

• Ginkgo Biloba  1.jpg
    Ginkgo Biloba 1.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Ginkgo Biloba.jpg
    Ginkgo Biloba.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah its not looking so hot, I would get mesh to surround it, usually you can buy it at a hardware store's gardening section or nursery. Theyre usually plastic or sometimes metal which should stop the clawing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The bark...is not damaged all around the tree is it? Just one sided? Because their bark can not be completely removed around the circumference. This link explains it...but goes about offering advice to try and save one. So please feel free to see if this applies...and good luck.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/how-to-fix-girdled-trees.htm

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Just ran outside and snapped a picture of the other side. Should my tree be bigger after 13 years? I bought the Ginkgo tree in a 3 gallon bucket and it is a Monrovia. Thank you for the advice and the links. ginko tree.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like the bark is not damaged on that side...so yay! Good news...as to size...there are many cultivars of Ginkgo. Some slower than others. So hard to tell which cultivar you planted. A very slow growing one.

Alrighty then...that's about my grasp on the species. I have a Tschi-Tschi Ginkgo myself. Lovely fall colors ginkgo have. Enjoy your tree. I hope you find a solution to your cat problem.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How tall is it right now and what's the diameter of the trunk? I would think it would be bigger after 13 years in the ground, but there are so many factors at play. How many hours of direct sun does it get during the day? Is that lichen on the trunk in the first picture? Just trying to get a grasp of its growing conditions.

Monrovia can have some unique stuff, so yeah it could be a dwarf cultivar. One thing I've noticed, but isn't entirely accurate, is that a lot of the dwarf cultivars don't have the bi-lobed leaves, which yours seems to lack too so it could be a dwarf.

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would guess it's 6-8', so that would be pretty good on a dwarf ginkgo in 13 years

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Beautiful bonsai. I'm 90% positive mine is a 'Autumn Gold' because I wanted to be the only one in my neighborhood with an awesome and one day HUGE Ginkgo biloba tree. When I planted my tree I imagined all the compliments I would get but instead people walk by and stare at my tree with a confused look on their face. I would be too afraid to make my tree a Bonsai because I would probably kill it. What are the chances I could grow cutting from him?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful bonsai. I'm 90% positive mine is a 'Autumn Gold' because I wanted to be the only one in my neighborhood with an awesome and one day HUGE Ginkgo biloba tree. When I planted my tree I imagined all the compliments I would get but instead people walk by and stare at my tree with a confused look on their face. I would be too afraid to make my tree a Bonsai because I would probably kill it. What are the chances I could grow cutting from him?

Could be you purchased one with said tag...and it still another cultivar...thus is the way of nursery plants. Mislabeled is a sadly more common than one imagines.

No worries...trust me. I killed a few bonsai in my earlier days. It happens...mine on its last hoorah of fall color.
image.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it getting good sun? If it's Autumn gold, it should be near 20 feet or more after 13 years.

I'm thinking there's something else going on, not enough light, or poor soil conditions, or even some supplemental water needed during the growing season... I'd need more info about its growing conditions to help troubleshoot (I've worked at a nursery for over 11 years and this is part of my jobo_O:cool::), but I love trying to figure these things out and helping people with plant problems).

Last edited:

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
How tall is it right now and what's the diameter of the trunk? I would think it would be bigger after 13 years in the ground, but there are so many factors at play. How many hours of direct sun does it get during the day? Is that lichen on the trunk in the first picture? Just trying to get a grasp of its growing conditions.

Monrovia can have some unique stuff, so yeah it could be a dwarf cultivar. One thing I've noticed, but isn't entirely accurate, is that a lot of the dwarf cultivars don't have the bi-lobed leaves, which yours seems to lack too so it could be a dwarf.
The circumference is 8.5 inches. I just measured it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is a question for you...any walnut trees in the near vicinity? If so...juglone intolerant might be the culprit. Just reaching for straws...juglone can either kill a plant...or stunt its growth so it's never fully thriving. But doesn't die.

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Here is a question for you...any walnut trees in the near vicinity? If so...juglone intolerant might be the culprit. Just reaching for straws...juglone can either kill a plant...or stunt its growth so it's never fully thriving. But doesn't die.
Oaktrees

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Ginkgo Biloba tree was mislabeled?
Well...you are expecting a 20 foot tree or more, that's the only explanation. I have purchased mislabeled things at the nursery. It happens...especially if they have a few cultivars. Not saying 100% sure.

I did find they are slow growers for several years...before picking up and growing at a rapid rate. I ponder if the tree is suffering from the cats injustice causing this as well. I would protect that trunk...possibly see if a landscape company can offer a treatment of some sort...I had ours do some treatment last year to help it store energy than pushing out new growth. (Landscape tree)

image.jpg

Top Bottom