Ginkgo Biloba

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Oaks can really suck up a lot of moisture...
The neighbors oak is HUGE, I'm adding a few more pictures of my tree and the oak Ginkgo Biloba  4.jpg

Attachments

• Ginkgo Biloba 5.jpg
    Ginkgo Biloba 5.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 14
  • oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 14

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
I already know.. my landscaping wall is terrible. I need to remove it. I built it myself

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Well...you are expecting a 20 foot tree or more, that's the only explanation. I have purchased mislabeled things at the nursery. It happens...especially if they have a few cultivars. Not saying 100% sure.

I did find they are slow growers for several years...before picking up and growing at a rapid rate. I ponder if the tree is suffering from the cats injustice causing this as well. I would protect that trunk...possibly see if a landscape company can offer a treatment of some sort...I had ours do some treatment last year to help it store energy than pushing out new growth. (Landscape tree)

View attachment 184938
strange thing, my tree it gets ball moss from the oak trees.

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
I just realized that this was strictly bonsai, sorry. I have to hand it to you guys though, cutting a tree's roots small enough to plant in a Bonsai pot is fascinating. I am amazed how you keep the trees alive. I was always taught to not mess with the roots or the tree would go into shock and die.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But I would think about trying to keep it watered. It's hard to tell how far out the root system has gone by now, but I would try to water out at least 3 feet on either side of the trunk, I'm sure it's made it out that far in 13 years. Water two times a week thoroughly (not with a bucket or watering can) and maybe bump it up to three times a week during the summer.

Is the tree wobbly at all at the ground level?

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
But I would think about trying to keep it watered. It's hard to tell how far out the root system has gone by now, but I would try to water out at least 3 feet on either side of the trunk, I'm sure it's made it out that far in 13 years. Water two times a week thoroughly (not with a bucket or watering can) and maybe bump it up to three times a week during the summer.

Is the tree wobbly at all at the ground level?
It seems solid. If some of the roots happened to get damaged can this be repaired? I thought about replanting the tree but I'm hoping it will take off. I will start watering the tree three times a week and give it fertilizer. If all that fails, I might just have to research bonsai and go in that direction. There are not many plant choices for this area because of the heat.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cadillactaste
About the mislabeling, I see it all the time at my nursery, I wonder sometimes if the growers actually know what they're growing... I see so many weeping Japanese maples where they put "weeping red maple" on the tag and on the paperwork they have it broken down by cultivar, so it's up to us correctly i.d. them, it's like they're not even trying anymore... And then half the time you don't even get what you ordered...

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
@Cadillactaste
About the mislabeling, I see it all the time at my nursery, I wonder sometimes if the growers actually know what they're growing... I see so many weeping Japanese maples where they put "weeping red maple" on the tag and on the paperwork they have it broken down by cultivar, so it's up to us correctly i.d. them, it's like they're not even trying anymore... And then half the time you don't even get what you ordered...
I have never ordered online. Can you recommend a reputable place to order from online? In one of my photo's I planted a Black Japanese maple that seems to be growing well in my area. I'm shocked.

Top Bottom