Ginkgo Biloba

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Those seeds won't be ready until they fall from the tree and they rarely come true to type from seed, but fun nonetheless to play with.

I say try your hand at an air layer. Some Japanese maples can be tricky to air layer and some won't even work. I have a 'blood good' that I'm trying to air layer and it will be 2 years in June since I first girdled it. Last summer it finally put out one root, and I looked a couple days ago and the bag had a lot more but they looked kind of rotten so we'll see...
I have a "Black Japanese Maple"... so I think. At least that is what Monrovia labeled the tree.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what happens if I plucked the seeds and refrigerated them?

They probably weren't mature yet. The way I look at it is that when they're ready to be picked is when they're ready to be blown off the tree naturally, and I'm pretty sure for Japanese maples that's in the fall.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm sorry. I hate to ask but what was your question?
It's alright, I was just trying to figure out how many hours of direct sun your ginkgo is getting. Or a better question is from what time to what time is it getting direct sun.

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
I am in Central Europe - Slovakia. It's considered Zone 8, in harsher winters maybe 7.
Huge difference, I live in Southern Texas. Most land in my area is solid limestone. How far could you press a shovel into the ground?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It doesn't get allot of direct sun and it should, right?
Yeah, more sun the better, but I would say minimum would be 3-4 hours of direct sun.

It's not dead after 13 years so that's something, but it kind of sounds like everything is working against you, crappy soil, big trees robbing it of water, and not enough sunlight. Chop that bad boy down already and start a bonsai!!!:cool::p:eek:

Saving_Ginkgo

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah, more sun the better, but I would say minimum would be 3-4 hours of direct sun.

It's not dead after 13 years so that's something, but it kind of sounds like everything is working against you, crappy soil, big trees robbing it of water, and not enough sunlight. Chop that bad boy down already and start a bonsai!!!:cool::p:eek:
lol

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Huge difference, I live in Southern Texas. Most land in my area is solid limestone. How far could you press a shovel into the ground?
Well there's some soil added on top of the original soil around the house but you can dig into both. With good shovel like Root Slayer (look it up) you can go 2m if you want. Even deeper probably till you reach gravel sediments.

Random User

Reaction score
@Saving_Ginkgo

Forgive me for reading so little on this thread (basically your OP and a few of the last posts), and I don't know if this has been mentioned... but to deal with that cat, I'd get a couple of super hot peppers (like Ghost peppers or Carolina Reapers and a pair of latex gloves) and rub those bad boys on that tree where the cat scratches. I'll bet that smart ass finds a new place to hang out once he gets a whiff of the capsaicin imbedded in the bark... you might have to re-apply it for a time... it will keep the dogs away too. (Any mammal really)

Top Bottom