Ginkgo Chi Chi in its New Grow Pot

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Just took a nursery stock Chi Chi that I purchased last weekend and put it in a grow pot. It’s grafted material, but the graft doesn’t appear to bad.

Attachments

• 3CB96E55-CF60-4AF3-8C08-78A964B22ADC.jpeg
    3CB96E55-CF60-4AF3-8C08-78A964B22ADC.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 18C1A160-A4A3-425D-A64D-8F9FB98DA62A.jpeg
    18C1A160-A4A3-425D-A64D-8F9FB98DA62A.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 2511A62F-6075-44C3-9D4D-22A0BE7B978E.jpeg
    2511A62F-6075-44C3-9D4D-22A0BE7B978E.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 073F008C-21A6-4B05-A964-A83F50CF2A6B.jpeg
    073F008C-21A6-4B05-A964-A83F50CF2A6B.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 86

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks great. In a few years, when the bark naturally gets "wrinkled" it will be impossible to find the graft line. Nice ginkgo to work with.
I’m hoping that’s the case🤞

The nursery had about 4 or 5 more and it’s taking everything I have not to go buy them all up😂

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
If you don’t mind, what state and how much $?
I have a huge mature specimen near me that I have grabbed sprouted seedlings from under last year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I picked this up at Conestoga Nursery in East Earl, PA. That’s the East end of Lancaster County. It was 98$

You can root cuttings of ginkgo. Not the easiest of species to root, but it can be done.

After leaf drop in autumn, take cuttings, at least 2 nodes. Set out to air dry about 12 hours. Then wrap entire cuttings in damp long fiber sphagnum or damp paper towels. Put in plastic bag, put in refrigerator for 2 to 4 months. Remove from refrigerator when starting your spring seedlings for garden, I would wait until end of Feb. But my winter doesn't end until mid April.

Strike, meaning set up, cuttings in pots with end to root down, tops up. Keep moist, most will tent or keep in plastic bag for humidity. Tiny leaf or two will open, don't disturb the cuttings. Sometime in the next 6 to 12 months roots will form. Once roots form, suddenly you will get a burst of growth. Branches will eventually start forming.

You will then have "on their own root" 'ChiChi'

By the way 'Chi Chi' is male, it should never have seed.

I've never seen a container grown ginkgo produce seed, even named female clones, I have never seen fruit in a container. It might be a function of size and age. It might just be I don't get out enough ( meaning it happens but I have not witnessed it happening)

Ginkgo nuts are delicious, once properly cleaned. They deserve to become a more frequent part of the north american diet.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can root cuttings of ginkgo. Not the easiest of species to root, but it can be done.

After leaf drop in autumn, take cuttings, at least 2 nodes. Set out to air dry about 12 hours. Then wrap entire cuttings in damp long fiber sphagnum or damp paper towels. Put in plastic bag, put in refrigerator for 2 to 4 months. Remove from refrigerator when starting your spring seedlings for garden, I would wait until end of Feb. But my winter doesn't end until mid April.

Strike, meaning set up, cuttings in pots with end to root down, tops up. Keep moist, most will tent or keep in plastic bag for humidity. Tiny leaf or two will open, don't disturb the cuttings. Sometime in the next 6 to 12 months roots will form. Once roots form, suddenly you will get a burst of growth. Branches will eventually start forming.

You will then have "on their own root" 'ChiChi'

By the way 'Chi Chi' is male, it should never have seed.

I've never seen a container grown ginkgo produce seed, even named female clones, I have never seen fruit in a container. It might be a function of size and age. It might just be I don't get out enough ( meaning it happens but I have not witnessed it happening)

Ginkgo nuts are delicious, once properly cleaned. They deserve to become a more frequent part of the north american diet.
Thanks for the detailed procedure. I’m not ready to delve into cuttings just yet though. I will be attempting my first ever air layer this year on a Japanese Maple

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I “harvested” 2 small twigs/branches from a local nursery ginkgo at the end of December and potted them in pure perlite with plastic soft drink bottles as humidity tents.
1 rotted and died, the other has rooted and the 2 remaining leaves are started to change into fall yellow as it’s the end of our Southern Hemisphere summer down here.

Then this past weekend I went to another nursery and harvested 7 ripe fruit from a large specimen ginkgo. I’ll put the seeds in the fridge over winter and plant out in spring

19668EFF-A5A5-4840-ABAF-0E398D7997D5.jpeg

Top Bottom