Ginkgo cutting?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a ginkgo in my yard and noticed this the other day. Could I use this as a clipping and if so how big should I let it get before I do?

image.jpeg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think u need to do it in another season not spring. Also why not take the whole plant?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't take the whole tree because it's a memorial tree planted for my sons mom who died in a car accident. Her ashes are with the tree. I thought maybe I could start a bonsai with a clipping and give it to my son one day when he moves out to have. Just planted it last year and the sucker just started coming up a few weeks ago.

So maybe this fall/winter or next spring before it blooms out again would be better?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm sorry to hear that, my condolences. If it's high enough you could airlayer a piece (the top) of, and u will have a better start. For cuttings I can't tell u (I'm the worst cutting maker ever), but it's important it's done in the right season (i think the growth needs to be 'done' / hardened).

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have better result when doing cutting over the winter. Am in Houston so the winter is nothing more than a few days in the 30s.

Top Bottom