Ginkgo forest first try

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This March my friend gave me a bunch of ginkgo seedlings. I picked 11 and put them in this "box" (photo 1)

The leaves just turned yellow recentlly. (Photo2)

Not sure what to do next from here - any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220322_102746.jpg
    20220322_102746.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20221024_160554.jpg
    20221024_160554.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 110

Fishsauce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just collected a bunch of seeds from a tree in my neighborhood, looking to do the same next year. Will be following your progress closely.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would allow seedlings like these to grow freely with minimal pruning for a couple of years to thicken the trunks. Try to allow inner trees to grow more and thicken more because group plantings look better with larger trees near the centre.
Ginkgo have no problem with hard pruning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would allow seedlings like these to grow freely with minimal pruning for a couple of years to thicken the trunks. Try to allow inner trees to grow more and thicken more because group plantings look better with larger trees near the centre.
Ginkgo have no problem with hard pruning.
thanks. Wondering if I should wire them to add some sort of movement. It is a bit too straight(almost each one of them), as Ginkgo trees do.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ginkgo trees naturally grow straight so I'd leave them as they are. If I wanted a group with bent and twisted trunks I'd get junipers or elms. My philosophy is to grow bonsai that look like the real trees but if you want to grow ginkgo bonsai that look like some other species with bends you are welcome to go ahead.

Top Bottom