Ginkgo from seed

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In 1996 I collected 11 ginkgo fruits (incredibly foul-smelling), and seven of them grew; 4 are still living. This one has been in the ground in Iowa, chopped back annually for the last 14 years, and was dug this spring. My buddy brought it down this weekend, thought I'd share. It's about 18" tall, and developing some chi-chis that may become problematic for taper, or if they continue extending, can make for a powerful trunk.

Haven't decided what I'll do with it yet, but will enjoy turning it around for a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,996

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've always heard these were slow growers, but that's pretty good trunk development considering it came from seed. I bet it looked good just before losing its foliage last month. I'm thinking I need to get a ginko, too:).

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When a trunk has great character like this I think the rules of taper go out the door. This has amazing potential, Brian. I've always wanted a nice Gingko to work on... and from seed? Too cool, dude!:) Did your chops heal over? I've read that larger cuts don't heal well on Gingko.
Keep us posted on the development of this guy.

Cory

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really interesting tree brian. I think that ginkgo are special, and are outside the rules in general. I would play up the bulky bits, and let it develop its own personality. Good growing from seed!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a question:

I am presuming you have grown this in the ground and then done several (?) chop backs?

Can you hack them down low and they'll sprout / back bud ? Do you treat them like deciduous trees rather than a 'quirky' conifer?

I am asking as I need to get a sacrifice to pop down low as well as lower branching but I'm too afraid to hack it back - it's been in the ground a decade now and I don't want it to die if it needs a viable bud to regrow :( If it can be chopped, what time of year would you recommend?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a question:

I am presuming you have grown this in the ground and then done several (?) chop backs?

Can you hack them down low and they'll sprout / back bud ? Do you treat them like deciduous trees rather than a 'quirky' conifer?

I am asking as I need to get a sacrifice to pop down low as well as lower branching but I'm too afraid to hack it back - it's been in the ground a decade now and I don't want it to die if it needs a viable bud to regrow :( If it can be chopped, what time of year would you recommend?

Yes, it was chopped back nearly to the ground every year or two in the spring. They will pop back, but I think it always had some shoots with buds that remained.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Before bud break or after the leaves had hardened off?

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you remember if there was any consideration for sowing the seed? Scarify or score or something?

PS the fruit has similar compounds as stomach bile, but people are always harvesting them here... ??? beats me

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you remember if there was any consideration for sowing the seed? Scarify or score or something?

PS the fruit has similar compounds as stomach bile, but people are always harvesting them here... ??? beats me

All I remember was putting on latex gloves from work and collecting the putrid-smelling fruits from the ground, putting them in a ziplock bag and praying that the bag didn't open on the bus ride home. They were foul.

I think I stripped the fruit off and stratified them in the cold frame for the winter, and sewed them in the spring.

the interesting thing was watching them grow, because some really took off, and some really stayed small. One from the same batch has been in and out of the ground a couple times, but is about 1/4 the size...I'll share a photo later.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very impressive to have done this all from seed and to have kept at it this long. I'm trying some gingko seeds this year, still not sure enduring the vomit like stink while peeling the fruit will be worth it!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Impressive what you've begun to create. I thought I'd share this with you and anyone else who might be interested. It's got a lot of images and info on ginkgo; I found the website years back researching the beautiful tree.

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks great Brian. I didn't know that ginkgo grew so slow. I have a buddy who has had a few in that ground, and lets just say nothing like a trident. I am going to keep my eye out for one, I just saw a seller with one on ebay recently.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like your pot choice, will be spectacular in the fall. Must be good to be potting stuff up, I am getting antsy....

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Brian,

Your ginkgo is superb. I don't think the hand of the artist can improve the trunk. I love it.

Thanks.

Best to all,

Augustine

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Brian, was this ginkgo's roots growing freely and untouched all those years before getting dug up and having it's root ball reduced?

BTW would you be able to share your knowledge regarding how much stress a ginkgo can handle relative to a Japanese black pine and Acer palmatum and as far as root reduction and trunk chops?

Top Bottom