Ginkgo gone wild

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
So I got this Ginkgo last spring from the Bonsai Learning Center. This spring I put it in one of my grow beds and it's just going crazy. In the first picture you can see the the original trunk and structure which is 13" tall. It's now 27" tall. I had always heard they were slow grower. I'm starting to think I'll need to pinch it to get it to stop extending.

IMG_20190523_185152947.jpgIMG_20190523_185129329.jpgIMG_20190523_185213186.jpgIMG_20190523_185152947.jpgIMG_20190523_185129329.jpgIMG_20190523_185213186.jpg

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The species is very open and straight for the 1st 20 or 30 years. They sucker. There are many dwarf varieties; too many to name, but 'Manhattan' is my favorite. 'Chi Chi' is a nice gold, and 'Jade Butterfly' is a nice pale green. They are both smaller than the type, but not as small as 'Manhattan'. Unfortunately, all the dwarf varieties are grafted.

You need to remove the first leaf when the cluster has the internode length that you want.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
The species is very open and straight for the 1st 20 or 30 years. They sucker. There are many dwarf varieties; too many to name, but 'Manhattan' is my favorite. 'Chi Chi' is a nice gold, and 'Jade Butterfly' is a nice pale green. They are both smaller than the type, but not as small as 'Manhattan'. Unfortunately, all the dwarf varieties are grafted.

You need to remove the first leaf when the cluster has the internode length that you want.

Great info, Thank you

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They ARE leggy, for the first 20 to 30 years. Here's where "let grow" gets its just due.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was listening to a Mirai podcast this week and they had someone on talking about ginkgo’s. I’ll try to remember the episode so you can maybe listen, but they were saying ginkgo’s have a small range of ph where they grow best, I believe it was 6.5-7.0ph. It’s the episode with Dennis Vojtilla, he talks about deciduous, his specialty, and somewhere in the last 30 minutes they go into ginkgo’s for a bit. You might wanna check it out, a lot of good info in that episode.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I was listening to a Mirai podcast this week and they had someone on talking about ginkgo’s. I’ll try to remember the episode so you can maybe listen, but they were saying ginkgo’s have a small range of ph where they grow best, I believe it was 6.5-7.0ph. It’s the episode with Dennis Vojtilla, he talks about deciduous, his specialty, and somewhere in the last 30 minutes they go into ginkgo’s for a bit. You might wanna check it out, a lot of good info in that episode.

Found it, thank you.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?

That whole podcast was very informative. Thanks again!

Top Bottom