Ginkgo leaves yellowing slightly?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Recently, about two weeks ago, I purchased a ginkgo tree that was on sale from a local nursery. It only had three branches but still looked healthy so I bought it. Now, it seems that some of the leaves are yellowing and I think it may be from too much sun. Does anyone have an idea if this is the issue, or what could be causing this, and what could be done about it? Should I give it some fish emulsion? Sorry, its hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Attachments

• 0706161658.jpg
    0706161658.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 0706161658a-1.jpg
    0706161658a-1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 30

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine do seem to get a yellow/chartreuse color or washed out look in a lot of sun.

The first and second pictures are dwarf ones in potting soil and a 1gal. pot. In the first picture you can see how much more yellow the left one is, it gets more light and shades the one on the right. the second picture is the one on the right.

The third picture is a regular ginkgo also in potting soil and a 1gal. pot. a little washed out with some yellowing edges.

The fourth picture is same type of dwarf in a cut down 3gal. with potting soil. is shaded by some bigger trees and doesn't get near as much sun.

Hope this helps

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine do seem to get a yellow/chartreuse color or washed out look in a lot of sun.

The first and second pictures are dwarf ones in potting soil and a 1gal. pot. In the first picture you can see how much more yellow the left one is, it gets more light and shades the one on the right. the second picture is the one on the right.

The third picture is a regular ginkgo also in potting soil and a 1gal. pot. a little washed out with some yellowing edges.

The fourth picture is same type of dwarf in a cut down 3gal. with potting soil. is shaded by some bigger trees and doesn't get near as much sun.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

So its normal-ish and due to too much sun.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I think so, mine didn't do this til later in the season last year but they're getting a little more sun than they did before.

But to be honest there might be something else going on with my most yellow one...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It could be prematurely putting on fall color. Is the conditions you're keeping it in very different than where it was?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It could be prematurely putting on fall color. Is the conditions you're keeping it in very different than where it was?
Truthfully, I don't know. I dont think so. They had it in the sunniest place at the nursery so it probably gets the same amount of light, no idea how they were watering/fertilizing it.

Could also be a watering issue

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ginkgo are not terribly picky as far as watering from what I've experienced. Could actually be under watering from the look of the photo you've attached. I would keep good watch on the watering, and see what happens.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Joe what kind of soil is it in and how about the pot? Mine stay outside and depending on the variety the leaves are varying shades of green.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a larger ginkgo in a 5 gallon pot. In my experience if it gets sun all day the leaves start to become yellowish and brown. If I keep it under a tree where it gets shade during the hottest part of the day it's fine. I also have heard ginkgo likes to stay moist for the first 3-5 years and in following that with mine and my mothers' it seems to be true. After the first few years they become more drought tolerant.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just a little toasty from the hot southern sun, I suspect. Mine looks about the same after relying on the watering system for most of the summer, which doesn't soak the ginkgo quite as well as I'd like. Yours may benefit from a bit more water. Ginkgo roots are very plump and coarse, and while tough, they do dry up. Fish emulsion is always good.
image.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty certain @Brian Van Fleet is correct. We are having a heck of a hot spell here and after 2 or 3 days I moved most of the test trees to shade. They stress a lot otherwise. So far I find very few potted trees handle it good. The only exceptions I find up here are Bald Cypress, Spruce, Cedars, Willows, and plants like Junipers and they get a LOT of water. I even found that the potted Quince and Cotoneaster stress and in the ground they do fine.

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe what kind of soil is it in and how about the pot? Mine stay outside and depending on the variety the leaves are varying shades of green.
Its in standard nursery mix, pine bark it appears. 3 gallon pot I think? Either way I plan on a chop and repot next spring.

Attachments

• 0707161205b-1.jpg
    0707161205b-1.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom