Ginkgo pruning

PinkTarantula

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a ginkgo that I picked up last summer. It’s a little tall and spindly compared to what I’d rather it look like. I was aiming for more of a squat medium sized tree with a fan shape. It may be too late for that on this tree. I’m very new to bonsai and have done some research into pruning but everything seems pretty vague or is more for general upkeep style pruning. The entire pruning aspect of this, for some reason, is a bit overwhelming to me. Any input on this tree would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never cut anything on it. The cut branches are from the bonsai nursery that sold it to me.BDFDF1CA-F272-49FA-8D59-04F13D2807A4.jpegBEF3D4C0-09EE-46B5-8649-FA9DB0AE212B.jpeg22A9A2A3-D023-400C-84A1-98C0608FDCF2.jpeg4295C22A-5FDC-4D24-9220-4A773F501C68.jpegA1ACBFD4-0079-49E9-B426-9C7D3964725B.jpeg017234EC-DD7D-46AD-A390-B15AA5D83935.jpegA00165FB-EE54-42D3-820A-E7A066FCBCB1.jpegE08E015C-AAC9-4D8A-AEB1-5B651555A1D0.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is no substitute for buying a short Ginkgo, even if you have to buy one younger than you want. You need to stump this about 1/4 to 1/3 as tall as your goal and wire twigs sideways ASAP in the life of the twig.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This appears to be grafted. The leaves which will be on the branches coming from that spot below where the trunk shrinks down are from the rootstock. They will be different than the leaves on the grafted portion above. It may or may not be noticable but depending on how much of a purist you are, you might consider removing them at some point.

PinkTarantula

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There is no substitute for buying a short Ginkgo, even if you have to buy one younger than you want. You need to stump this about 1/4 to 1/3 as tall as your goal and wire twigs sideways ASAP in the life of the twig.
I was thinking about chopping it after I read one or two things about that. Maybe at one of the red lines? Ideally I’d remove the unsightly stump marked by the yellow arrow. I’m also unsure if I want a single trunk or a second one in a Y shape. I don’t think I’ll think do that but if I do it would possibly be the branch marked in blue.

This appears to be grafted. The leaves which will be on the branches coming from that spot below where the trunk shrinks down are from the rootstock. They will be different than the leaves on the grafted portion above. It may or may not be noticable but depending on how much of a purist you are, you might consider removing them at some point.
You really think it’s grafted? That’s a little frustrating since I was led to believe that it was not when purchased. I can often tell when they are but I’m really not sure on this one. I posted two closer pictures. Maybe they’ll help.

2FBEF44F-7BD6-4D09-92B5-379E63369D56.jpegC1E01796-4E9F-47CC-B74A-C82CC7E390EE.jpeg5FC392D0-B3B7-4E61-A999-FE151A7BC1ED.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This does look like a graft line between the yellow lines, and the stub on the far side may be the tip of the original stock. I am speculating, of course. If this was grafted it would labeled as a named variety. If it had an old, original tag and it wasn't a named variety it probably isn't grafted. If the tag was missing or had a new label that seemed to be newer than the length of time this was for sale in the trade, then that might indicate that the original tag was lost and they couldn't ID the specific variety. If you wait to see if there is some marked difference in the leaves above the graft union compared to the leaves from stems below the graft union, that may tell you what's going on, or not.

If it is grafted you have a few options. You could air-layer the top, or not, and have two varieties, or two of the same same variety. Or you could stump it in one of several places. I would do that at the red line. Others will contribute elsewhere.

Ginkgo.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was aiming for more of a squat medium sized tree with a fan shape. It may be too late for that on this tree.

Any input on this tree would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never cut anything on it.
if you want a squat tree, you need to grow it big and chop it down. If you’re not in a hurry, stick it in the ground for a few years, and prune it back pretty hard every spring. If you want to skip to bonsai, you can prune it something like this and it will seem squatter just by being shorter.

FWIW, I don’t see anything that screams “grafted” to me. It could be, but I doubt it. The base has swollen, but that definitely happens with ginkgo trees in pots. They definitely act different in pots than in the ground.
5B4F5CC6-5F89-402A-8FE0-D6BA2DE8E196.jpeg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I don’t see anything that screams “grafted” to me. It could be, but I doubt it. The base has swollen, but that definitely happens with ginkgo trees in pots. They definitely act different in pots than in the ground.
View attachment 291419

I saw the base which looked like it could be when the rootstock grows morevigoroysly

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ginkgo are usually trained in the “flame style” for bonsai. The branches are allowed to grow up, not “out”.

Google “ginkgo bonsai”, then click the “images” button. You’ll see lots of examples.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to edit my previous post(ran out of time), in which I intended to say:
View attachment 291419
I saw how the base looked swollen as if it was just more vigorous than the top. Then in this photo it looks like when a graft grows over the stub of the original trunk.
PSX_20200326_223035.jpg
I could be wrong, it wouldnt be the first time...

Cool tree, I wish you luck with it!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A great many ginkgo are grown as cuttings. A plant grown from hardwood cutting is difficult to tell from a graft as both can have that same stub and a kink in the trunk where a top bud on the cutting grew.
Like Brian Van Fleet I can't see any reason to think this is grafted.

Ginkgo are quite hardy. You can cut almost anywhere and they will sprout new shoots so don't be frightened to chop it shorter. Pruning will make it grow more side shoots.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would also recommend planting it deeper (and/or raising the soil level). Lots of fine roots are exposed at the surface. They won’t thicken, and won’t thrive above the soil. My ginkgo roots grow very aggressively, and pushes itself up out of the pot by 3/4” each year.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would also recommend planting it deeper (and/or raising the soil level). Lots of fine roots are exposed at the surface. They won’t thicken, and won’t thrive above the soil. My ginkgo roots grow very aggressively, and pushes itself up out of the pot by 3/4” each year.
Brian, do you repot it every year?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, do you repot it every year?
I have so far. I put it in a slightly larger pot this year to see if I can get 2 years and maybe slow it down a little, but I’m still trying to develop branch structure too, so it’s a balancing act.
EBD20001-8525-4195-A66D-4E0CE1F2C76F.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ginkgo back bud on old wood fairly reliably. So have no fear cutting back to what seems to be no buds. Warning, if you cut one branch back to no buds, cut back all the others to eliminate terminal buds. That way apical dominance won't inhibit the budless stem from back budding.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have so far. I put it in a slightly larger pot this year to see if I can get 2 years and maybe slow it down a little, but I’m still trying to develop branch structure too, so it’s a balancing act.
View attachment 291496
Thanks, Brian. I just went out and repotted the one from Bill Valavanis I won on the Facebook auctions last fall. I’m glad i did. There was some old akadama mud in there.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Brian. I just went out and repotted the one from Bill Valavanis I won on the Facebook auctions last fall. I’m glad i did. There was some old akadama mud in there.
Is that the old chichi Gingko on a green pot? Did you remove all the old akadama from the rootball? Some have suggested to leave the rootball of all trees.

Top Bottom