Ginkgo Shohin help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have been working on this ginkgo I acquired a year ago, and lately I keep thinking about a big change. Right now, my front as ok taper and movement, but my branches are not where I want them. They are either pokers (aimed at the eye) or comi out of the back.

When I turn the tree 90 degrees clockwise, I keep thinking why not forget the second trunk and make this the front. This side has a better nebari. There is more below the soil on this side, but on the other side the bark has retreated and the base looks understated.

One additional consideration would be the chops. As I have read to do, the previous grower left a stub. I just cleaned up the deadwood to make them slightly concave. I have literally read pole ipposites on ginkgo healing wounds, and I wonder how they would heal up.

If I do change my front, should I lose the second trunk right away. Timing would be ok since bids are extending.

Of course there is the secret third option of turning it and then doing a trunk chop to just below the inverse taper from that sacrifice branch and regrowing from a blank slate.

It’s got the potential to be a great tree and this is my decision stage. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Pics below. 4EC046C1-855A-4A5C-A126-C7CEEDDFDD7B.jpegB0AF0F12-F39B-482B-B69C-7FEEA984E317.jpeg90497DD8-3661-4596-8311-824536A78A7F.jpeg151CB971-3FED-49E7-ABE6-78C16DC97EBC.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Depends, on how wide of a flame canopy you want...
View attachment 235264View attachment 235265
I wish my second trunk was more upright like yours. I have a two tiered flame going when it’s in leaf since the left side is much lower.

Great fall Color pic and pot combo btw. The pot sets off the yellow. I feel like that’s half the fun of a ginkgo. I missed a shot this year.

This blue/oatmeal/earth colored pot will be its eventual home D9EFAF11-5EC6-49B4-8C41-208B46BD2549.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a really shallow pot... most are in deeper pots than that. So two seperate flames..like this, less developed? I'm working on creating something similar...it's why the right side of my tree is less flared on the side. Love that dramatic flame.
image.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's a really shallow pot... most are in deeper pots than that. So two seperate flames..like this, less developed? I'm working on creating something similar...it's why the right side of my tree is less flared on the side. Love that dramatic flame.
View attachment 235269

Funny you mention that. This is the reason it’s not in the pot its only an inch and a half deep and there is a lot going on below the soil line on this tree. I prepared that pot and the rectangle and instead of going to town with knob cutters, I pretty much slipped it into here.

I refreshed my memory of your old post about that nursery in Berlin btw. Is that place still worth checking out?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've not been down that way... sorry.

Ginkgo need deeper pots. But can handle serious root work.I used a fine tool to cut through mine to put it until an Erin Pottery pot. [ Size - 12.25" x 9 x 3.25 excluding feet.] Was in like a bulb pot 6" deep. And I allowed for room in the current pot as well. I think your tree will even when ready for a final pot...may need deeper. Nice pot though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update: I didn’t bring myself to chopping the tree, but I did remove the second trunk/low branch and slip potted to a 5 inch orchid pot. The branch actually rooted, which makes it my biggest cutting to date and another cool project.

I’m retrospect, the chop would have helped accelerate development. I always, always read about how slow these grow, but this guy exploded.

After letting it grow until now, I need to prune a bit. There are 2, maybe 3 possible leaders, but the one I like most has a long node from last year and this year in second photo.

This is where I wish I had chopped. This guy grew tall too. When I prune back, should I try to leave 1-3 leaves except for my new lowest branch(needs to thicken)?BDABEEF6-ACDC-4C53-9F9B-A1279030F051.jpeg40CCEF9F-E3A3-4714-B032-87C46BCC0FB7.jpeg40CCEF9F-E3A3-4714-B032-87C46BCC0FB7.jpeg

Top Bottom