Ginkgo Starter

Bonsai_kuhn

Seedling
Reaction score
Just to piggy back on what i said in my last post. But I've got a few more questions this time. I got this tree at a local nursery. Its about 3-4 ft tall now. It has the trunk size I'm looking for. It came in a two and a half gallon pot root bound. It has a decent nebari going already i think. The pictures just don't do it justice. There is a ton of new root growth with no visible main roots showing. I read that the ginkgo doesn't take too well to having the roots trimmed. Id like to trim them down so i can get it in a smaller pot eventually. i went ahead and put it in a bigger pot with some bonsai soil i mixed up. 50/50 organic inorganic. So some advice there would be nice. Next is the top chop that I'm afraid to do as well. I have no clue where i should cut it and what other branches should i cut off...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-10-22-12-36.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-10-22-12-36.png
    538.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160410_182216.jpg
    20160410_182216.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160410_182230.jpg
    20160410_182230.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 54

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome. It looks like a promising tree.

First off you are going to need to update your location in your profile. So much of the info you will receive is climate specific.

You will need to provide a little more background. What have you done to the roots so far? Did you just slip pot it into the larger box and back fill around it? What is your reasoning behind putting it in a larger pot? What is your plan for the tree, size, style, etc?

I don't have any experience with ginkgo so others will need to chime in with specifics but since it is already leafed out you may be limited about what you can still do this spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
limited about what you can still do this spring.

Which his perfectly fine cuz this one can grow to something nice.

You have a great low sacrifice...
Nothing seeming to Mar a design.

Let her grow some....
This ain't the kind of tree to go fast on!

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like this link. I used it on my Gingko.
And a picture of mine.
http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/bonsai.htm

If leafing,I would not prune the roots.perhaps someone with more experience with re/potting after leaves emerge will chime in.Generally though ,trees are root pruned just before buds Burst.
I would grow it out this season and then top it and root prune and wire next season if you are happy with trunk caliper.Maybe wire select branches this season before too thick.
I did mine in the flame form.
Check out the link.Good tips

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Bonsai_kuhn

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in South eastern virginia. Zone 8, I think... I haven't done a thing to the tree yet. I did wash the older soil out and repoted the girl. I chose a bigger pot so if I choose to not do anything to it it will have a lot of room for more growth resulting in a thicker truck which I don't mind at all. As for my plan... no clue. I would like it to be a larger bonsai tho. And style... I won't something more unique but I understand a ginkgo will take on certain shapes better than others

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would let it be for this season. Read up on the species while you wait so you are ready.

repoted the girl

If it is indeed a girl be careful about letting it set seeds. I've been told that the seeds have a rather unpleasant vomit smell. Not even sure how old a tree needs to be or if it is even possible in a pot.

Bonsai_kuhn

Seedling
Reaction score
its a male. i keep any flowers or cones trimmed anyway.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you mean by great low sacrifice?
What Sorce as referring to is a good thing for quite a lot of tree species that heal scars good,unlike Gingko.
People let long shoots grow out to thicken the trunk base then chop them off and the scar heals.
I would not do this with Gingko because they do not heal scars at all.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What Sorce as referring to is a good thing for quite a lot of tree species that heal scars good,unlike Gingko.
People let long shoots grow out to thicken the trunk base then chop them off and the scar heals.
I would not do this with Gingko because they do not heal scars at all.
Mine heals them readily under cut paste. Dime-sized cuts close in 2 seasons, no problemo.
image.jpeg

Bonsai_kuhn

Seedling
Reaction score
If I have a main branch I want to cut eventually is there a way I can kill the branch with it still intact and treat it as deadwood?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Girdling most any branch will kill it:(.
I really don't think so. This is how we make an air layer.
I have a main branch I want to cut eventually is there a way I can kill the branch with it still intact and treat it as deadwood?
Yes. Peel the bark off the part of the branch you want to be deadwood. Very easy to do after the foliage is out and the tree is actively growing (of course you can first defoliate the branch to make it easier to wee what you're doing)

Last edited:
Top Bottom