Ginkgo - where to chop?

Reaction score
What about this? Reduce the high split to one trunk, chop is at the back. shorten remaining trunk to show a bit of taper.
Remove 2 suckers, shorten one in case you want a second trunk later.
View attachment 359695
Thanks, Brian. I like that idea too. That’s what I was thinking originally (at least the chop at the split part), but I got scared that the chop wound wound heal.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks, Brian. I like that idea too. That’s what I was thinking originally (at least the chop at the split part), but I got scared that the chop wound wound heal.
They will heal. Some better than others, but they will.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
I could definitely be mistaken, but I don't believe this is grafted. I've had it for maybe 15 years now, neglected on my parents patio for the last 5 or 6.
1615420853420.png
This looks like a graft union to me.

Reaction score
Repotted the ginkgos over the weekend, and I’ll prune them in the next couple weeks. The first one was more interesting than I first thought. I’m gonna keep the stickers for now but cut them back.

YwFT8nitRGvJzju.jpg

ywaeRsWN5t4uK71.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This shows the upper branches rotated only 15° outward and the lower branches 30° outward from the trunk. This is do-able pretty quick...
gnk 1.JPG
People need to wire the skinny branches sooner.

Reaction score
You guys are right. These trees were neglected on my parents' patio for the last several years, which is on me but is the reality.

Reaction score
Can I get opinions on what to do with the two circled spots? I thought I could get away with where I pruned the lower nebari by hiding the cut mark behind/under soil but it’s raised higher than the rest. And the higher bump, I think I may just have to remove. The bark is hollow in that there is a gap between the bark and the wood, and I’m not sure how that will heal over.

VoDRBzsdnImrb97.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This shows the upper branches rotated only 15° outward and the lower branches 30° outward from the trunk. This is do-able pretty quick...
View attachment 363040
People need to wire the skinny branches sooner.
I see a beautiful flame 🔥 shape in my foliage. I've ran my tree past Sergio...and neither he...nor I felt it needed tweaked. But thanks...I typically stick to one artist than multitude.

But, please note the pot. Commissioned pot by Victor Harris.

Would love to see your ginkgo. Since you know what is possible with them. *Many of those branches were set by Scott Lee.
20201120_082525.jpg

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Valvanis would tell you cut them off close and glue the bark back on in an artistic manner.
Can I get opinions on what to do with the two circled spots? I thought I could get away with where I pruned the lower nebari by hiding the cut mark behind/under soil but it’s raised higher than the rest. And the higher bump, I think I may just have to remove. The bark is hollow in that there is a gap between the bark and the wood, and I’m not sure how that will heal over.

VoDRBzsdnImrb97.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see a beautiful flame 🔥 shape in my foliage. I've ran my tree past Sergio...and neither he...nor I felt it needed tweaked. But thanks...I typically stick to one artist than multitude.

But, please note the pot. Commissioned pot by Victor Harris.

Would love to see your ginkgo. Since you know what is possible with them. *Many of those branches were set by Scott Lee.
View attachment 363120
Sorry, I lost my head. I thought this tree was the one that someone wanted advice on. It doesn't need to have any adjustment.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Valvanis would tell you cut them off close and glue the bark back on in an artistic manner.

Edit: I'm big enough to apologize. I assumed you were trolling me again. I'm sorry for my outburst. I honestly didn't look to see who you quoted. My last comment was to the quote above. Totally wasn't paying attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom