Ginkgo - where to chop?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hm.. I do hope the seller actually informs interested persons that he is selling a cutting?

Interesting bit of tree you have there. I only have 1 ginko and it is young so, do not fly by my thoughts. I would want this to go in my substrate as soon as possible. It being early spring, I would have no qualms about repotting. Then again, I do mess up sometimes (Repotted a big trident in leaf and it protested, now hanging on to 10 leaves and the rest crisped)
I don't believe so...myself, I mentally knew it. When you see a chunk of Olive with buds when most trees are in leaf.

My take...he went to work on that ginkgo it's not old scars where the bark pulls away a bit as it dries. All the seller did to it. It needs left to recover. He worked it hard. One major insult a year rule.

Reaction score
I see a beautiful flame 🔥 shape in my foliage. I've ran my tree past Sergio...and neither he...nor I felt it needed tweaked. But thanks...I typically stick to one artist than multitude.

But, please note the pot. Commissioned pot by Victor Harris.

Would love to see your ginkgo. Since you know what is possible with them. *Many of those branches were set by Scott Lee.
View attachment 363120
Loving the splash of yellow on the pot with the autumn foliage colour. Gorgeous

Reaction score
I asked, and he said it was a cutting taken last year and has a strong root system. I still didn't love the idea of keeping it potting soil, so I decided to remove it from the pot and try to carefully chip away at the outer edges of the soil to see how far the roots reached. Well, the the soil immediately all fell apart and there was only one little branching root sticking out of the stump. So I put it in my normal medium with a quarter dose of fertilizer. I wish I had gotten a pick of the root, but I didn't as I was focused on getting it back in the pot. I'll snap a current pic later today.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So now that you've messed with the tree, you can't complain if it dies.

Reaction score
Sure - feel free to call me out if you catch me complaining.

From my perspective, I just significantly increased its chances of survival.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The thought I'm voicing is that the first thing people do when they get a plant that is living in a media that is different from their idea of what is proper is move it out of the media that it lives in, and has been living in for some time. They do it because they think they need to do so. They bought the plant out of the myriads out there, but this one needs to be repotted or it might die. There's a mixed metaphor in there someplace.

..."Look! There's a man laying on that park bench with his eyes closed! We need to remove his heart and replace it with one we're sure works better...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I asked, and he said it was a cutting taken last year and has a strong root system. I still didn't love the idea of keeping it potting soil, so I decided to remove it from the pot and try to carefully chip away at the outer edges of the soil to see how far the roots reached. Well, the the soil immediately all fell apart and there was only one little branching root sticking out of the stump. So I put it in my normal medium with a quarter dose of fertilizer. I wish I had gotten a pick of the root, but I didn't as I was focused on getting it back in the pot. I'll snap a current pic later today.
Wish you the best...

Reaction score
FeC6iAdrJbWwE3Q.jpg

Reaction score
The thought I'm voicing is that the first thing people do when they get a plant that is living in a media that is different from their idea of what is proper is move it out of the media that it lives in, and has been living in for some time. They do it because they think they need to do so. They bought the plant out of the myriads out there, but this one needs to be repotted or it might die. There's a mixed metaphor in there someplace.

..."Look! There's a man laying on that park bench with his eyes closed! We need to remove his heart and replace it with one we're sure works better...
I hear you - but it's not like the roots were thriving in the potting soil. I recognize I probably shouldn't have disturbed the roots in the first place, but once the soil literally just fell off the roots it was apparent to me that (1) this had been recently potted in the medium that you suggest it has been living in for some time, and (2) the better option between putting it back in the same pot with the same media was to put it in a different pot with different media.

Please don't take my posts as me looking to argue with you. I guarantee you know a ton more than I do about all of this stuff and I appreciate all of the feedback everyone is providing in this thread.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fear not, you've spent time putting into words what, how and why you did something, and now have a better understanding of the factors that you should consider when doing this one thing in the future, and hopefully will apply the same sort of logic to other aspects of handling plants. You have been the leading player in this thread, but remember that there have been 2K views, so many other people have had an opportunity to learn the same process of taking time to think about the what, why, and how of what they do and what the worst, or best, or most likely outcome might be, beforehand.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here, hate to see it spill out now...
19793193-1571-47AF-ADB0-745C69C19D71.jpeg
Ginkgo roots are vigorous, and it looks like the timing was right on your repot. I agree with Leo, right call. Now let it grow. It needs branches.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. You are my inspiration, sincerely.

I don’t know why my pics keep showing up sideways. When I preview them, they look right.

Top Bottom