Ginkgo!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@JoeR i have intentions to gently offer directional assistance to a few branches that the ginkgo produced. Before they set. They don't like wire I hear...so just gentle direction. You may wish to as well. Keep with the flame shape these are styled into when doing it.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Brian! I don't know how I missed those posts either, I could have sworn I looked through every ginkgo thread here. I didn't however think about your blog though, I always forget about yours since it never comes up when you google bonsai blog.

I find it interesting you and @aml1014 have had great success with them healing wounds, while most people say they don't heal at all. Do you apply cut paste to them? And if the scar has already begun to heal, do you re-wound the edges? I'd really like to close a few scars on this one..

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Brian! I don't know how I missed those posts either, I could have sworn I looked through every ginkgo thread here. I didn't however think about your blog though, I always forget about yours since it never comes up when you google bonsai blog.

I find it interesting you and @aml1014 have had great success with them healing wounds, while most people say they don't heal at all. Do you apply cut paste to them? And if the scar has already begun to heal, do you re-wound the edges? I'd really like to close a few scars on this one..
#8 on Bing, #7 on Google when you search for "Bonsai Blog"
Yes, I use cut paste. And experimented on several cuts with one ginkgo: those I covered did heal faster.
IMG_0883.PNG IMG_0884.PNG

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's almost growing too vigorously to keep up with. Almost. Looking like it needs some pruning. Sorry for the ugly background, but I love the way water pools on the leaves so I thought I'd upload some new pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 109

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well almost everything in my garden stopped growing a month or two ago. Idk why, I guess it's just the heat. This one included- but all the new growth has hardened off. Looks like it's getting ready for a second flush (?) as you can see green buds swelling. Thinking I let this one run too much- I'm worried the branches are going to be too thick and ugly. I suppose we shall see come fall!

Attachments

• IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3141.JPG
    IMG_3141.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 114

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine are hardening off too. I thought it looked to have grown as I was away on vacation. Figured once it hardens I will cut it back. I've wired loosely so branches follow the flame style. But nothing drastic.

I am not worried about thickness...they do their thing. I am more focused on flame shape. Will be cutting back hard though. Just not sure when...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine are hardening off too. I thought it looked to have grown as I was away on vacation. Figured once it hardens I will cut it back. I've wired loosely so branches follow the flame style. But nothing drastic.

I am not worried about thickness...they do their thing. I am more focused on flame shape. Will be cutting back hard though. Just not sure when...
Brian had said to wait till fall after the leaves drop or before bud break in spring to cut back hard- at least that was how I understood it? Oh and how did the wire turn out on yours?

Honestly I'm not so worried about making mine flame shaped. I'm more concerned about making it take a pleasing, natural form- maybe even a broad canopy who knows. I have an image in mind, but whether I can pull it off or not is another thing!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brian had said to wait till fall after the leaves drop or before bud break in spring to cut back hard- at least that was how I understood it? Oh and how did the wire turn out on yours?

Honestly I'm not so worried about making mine flame shaped. I'm more concerned about making it take a pleasing, natural form- maybe even a broad canopy who knows. I have an image in mind, but whether I can pull it off or not is another thing!
Ahhh that makes sense! Thanks for passing it along. May wait for spring...

Well...if you're have a vision...good luck with it! I am a bit OCD and with mine already sort of there with the flame. Will keep it as such. Just lightly wired to direct branches going in the wrong direction. Loosely since they say they don't like wire, or so I read...was also told by one who is working on a cool one that is shown...to go and wire loosely. Which I did.

I actually had the one who took care of my trees and critters while I was away...comment on the ginkgo. Asking about it...she has a black thumb was worried over the trees. But the one who house sit last time was on vacation themselves. I told her...just water as directed and no problems will occur. She was relieved to hear it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey @JoeR any fall shots of this tree? The butter yellow took my breath away. Moved it to a more focal location so all could see it as well. Instead of hidden on a bench out back. Absolutely love this species. What's not to love!?!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some twin photo-dump pics for @Cadillactaste ! Fall color is pretty sweet, and some shots of the superb bark are a must!

((No that is not my car, that’s my brothers... sadly))

Attachments

• 9B6EF404-1086-437F-872D-B349234F993B.jpeg
    9B6EF404-1086-437F-872D-B349234F993B.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 4CEEF373-84AF-4D61-B708-F6EC71D9DF3E.jpeg
    4CEEF373-84AF-4D61-B708-F6EC71D9DF3E.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 97
  • B0732C1C-ECC3-4D68-8149-3364182CBA35.jpeg
    B0732C1C-ECC3-4D68-8149-3364182CBA35.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 90
  • FEECF489-9A9D-4062-8898-842E8A8B95D0.jpeg
    FEECF489-9A9D-4062-8898-842E8A8B95D0.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 82
  • C00EF2EE-08F7-4A7D-AB55-73E2899FE6D8.jpeg
    C00EF2EE-08F7-4A7D-AB55-73E2899FE6D8.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 2BA12B6A-57D5-4EC5-9C2E-533E7DC8732D.jpeg
    2BA12B6A-57D5-4EC5-9C2E-533E7DC8732D.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 83

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey @JoeR any fall shots of this tree? The butter yellow took my breath away. Moved it to a more focal location so all could see it as well. Instead of hidden on a bench out back. Absolutely love this species. What's not to love!?!
Of course! I don’t think mine is quite at the prime yet, but I just dumped some here. Also my camera really sucks and combined with the cloudy light dulls out the yellow in pictures.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@JoeR I found it hard to photograph and get true colors. Dusk was the best closest to color for the entire tree shot in my opinion. The yellow is so hard to describe...but you and I are on the same page...that bark is stunning. May not be your car...but I only see the tree. ;)... That bark is 24/7...fall colors an added bonus. When I told Scott I wanted fall color..along with quirkiness in the trunk. He did well by sharing his ginkgo for sale. He nailed it! So glad there are a few of us here who have this species...I am surprised more don't.

Your tree...STUNNING!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@JoeR I found it hard to photograph and get true colors. Dusk was the best closest to color for the entire tree shot in my opinion. The yellow is so hard to describe...but you and I are on the same page...that bark is stunning. May not be your car...but I only see the tree. ;)... That bark is 24/7...fall colors an added bonus. When I told Scott I wanted fall color..along with quirkiness in the trunk. He did well by sharing his ginkgo for sale. He nailed it! So glad there are a few of us here who have this species...I am surprised more don't.

Your tree...STUNNING!
You know, when I bought the tree I honestly did not expect to fall in love with the species like i have. It’s one you really have to own to appreciate, and it’s by far one of my favorites. Quirky for sure but truly an awesome species!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You know, when I bought the tree I honestly did not expect to fall in love with the species like i have. It’s one you really have to own to appreciate, and it’s by far one of my favorites. Quirky for sure but truly an awesome species!
You know...you might be onto something. The unusual growing pattern...and that it doesn't conform to traditional bonsai styling. May put one off...but to see this species first hand...makes up for it by leaps and bounds. One must embrace the characteristics of this species for sure...having it on ones bench makes it much easier...for photos never do these trees Justice.

Reaction score
Joe your tree is marvellous, you really oughta be proud of it! Got me jelly lol. I'm a terrible replyer, gonna send you a nice long letter tomorrow!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe your tree is marvellous, you really oughta be proud of it! Got me jelly lol. I'm a terrible replyer, gonna send you a nice long letter tomorrow!
Thank you sir! I was wondering what happened to you, thought you may have gotten yourself in some trouble! Lol. And although I’m very proud to call it mine, it really is the product of Scott’s labor...

Top Bottom